motorbiking Hue


Advertisement
Published: May 4th 2008
Edit Blog Post

On a rainy evening in Hanoi we boarding the overnight train bound for Hue. The train was full of Vietnamese and they had a great time looking at us. We met and English speaking couple who helped us with our seats and baggage as it was a bit confusing. I must've been tired as I fell asleep shortly after we took off at 8pm. Alex went to dining car and spent the evening with fellow travellers. We arrived in Hue around 7am on a lovely morning and walked from the station to a guest house. Along the way many tuk-tuk drivers tryed to pick us up and were shocked that we wanted to walk.
The town is lovely but more expensive than we hoped. It appears to cater to a french crowd-the food was delicious! We explored the town on foot as usual and tried out some restaurants. A new favorite beverage of mine is the free tea the locals are given. You get free refills! I loved it and probably drank an entire jug. The server thought I was crazy as she doesn't enjoy the tea.
From Hue we rented a motorbike and rode up to the DMZ. The drive up was very scenic. We passed rice fields, villiages, and saw mountains in the distance. We took a tour through tunnels used during the Vietnam War and saw many craters. As we exited the tunnels we had our first view of the S. China sea! It was so refreshing after spening only half an hour in the tunnels. We heading back down the coast and enjoyed some Bia Hoi at a beach cafe much to the amusement of the locals. They were impressed that we knew to order the special crisp bread that goes with the beer and also ice to keep the beer chilled. The journey home was a bit treacherous as the Vietnamese drive like manics and don't turn their lights on but Alex drove carefully and we returned to our hotel dusty and tired but exhilerated from a great day.
We drove around the citadel but didn't spend nearly enough time there. The surrouding parks are lovely and I"m sure its worth buying the ticket and exporing the places you can't drive past.
We bought our open bus tickets and prepared to set out on a sleeper bus to Hoi An.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.068s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 43; dbt: 0.0463s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb