Stop-over in Hue


Advertisement
Vietnam's flag
Asia » Vietnam » North Central Coast » Thua Thien - Huế » Hué
October 26th 2007
Published: November 1st 2007
Edit Blog Post

Leaving Our MarkLeaving Our MarkLeaving Our Mark

In the DMZ pub at night, we couldn't think of anything else to write up.
Next stop Hue!! As our time in Vietnam was beginning to run short we decided to make our stop in Hue a short one. We left Hoi An around lunch time and after a 4 hour drive we were dropped off outside what looked like an OK guesthouse. We were also now out of the tropics which meant no more monsoon rainstorms, so that was a bit of relief too. It was only going to be one night in Hue as our bus for Hanoi was booked to leave at 6pm the following day. As we suspected the hotel rooms were not the best and they tried to charge us an extra $2 for a room on a lower floor. We insisted that we needed the exercise and the cheaper room would be fine.

Mary and Bríd also accepted the room as they had the same travel plans as us for the following day. After we settled into our rooms, Gary killed a big wasp from the girls room and then we all headed for something to eat at a nearby restaurant. The street that we were staying on was quite nice with a number of bars and restaurants. The
Perfume RiverPerfume RiverPerfume River

A picture from the bridge. These people lived on these boats!!
food was really nice and it gave us much amusement to watch the restaurant gradually grow before our eyes as tables were pulled out of nowhere and set up in the courtyard in no time at all.

It had been an exhausting day, bus journeys are more tiring than they seem and after the shock from the postman and the super fast bag packing we were in much need of something stronger than a coke. We headed off to one of the bars and ordered Tigers all round. A good few Tigers later and a very bad DJ, the giggles had set in!! Following suit of previous travellers we decided to leave our trade mark on the walls with a marker pen. The night was very enjoyable and no sooner than our heads hit the pillow we were in the land of nod!!

The following day we checked out after a wee bit of a longer lie in and headed for some breakfast with our new found friends and then explored some of the city. We considered doing a city tour but opted against it would take up the whole day and they didn't look that appealing. We
Having FunHaving FunHaving Fun

Me, Gary, Mary and Brid, the two Irish girls we met.
instead took a stroll along the perfume river however it has to be said that it neither smelt or looked anything like perfume. We were plagued by locals trying to offer us a boat trip on the river so we headed across the bridge in search for the market. It was definately a locals markets and some of the smells were a little overpowering. Gary was in search of a travel pillow for the bus and on the way back to our guesthouse we looked in every shop en route in order to keep him happy. No travel pillow was to been seen anywhere and we even attempted to ask a number of shop assistants but we were presented with various random items. Perhaps it was a good thing that we never got around to teaching english as a foreign language!!!

Following a very enjoyable dinner we headed for some provisions for the bus, collected our bags, changed into more comfortable travelling clothes and waited patiently for the bus. We waited in anticipation as various buses past, hoping that our bus was of one of the more comfortable varieties for our 14 hour drive. The bus was OK, providing
3 Amigos3 Amigos3 Amigos

The "Tiger" took over!!!
the same comfort as our previous 12 hour bus trip although it seems that the flies and ants come free of charge with the bus company. Armed with my flight socks to ensure that every part of my legs were covered for the journey as I really did not want any more bites on my legs when in awoke in the morning!!



Advertisement



3rd November 2007

one eye on the tiger
What a combination. tiger and irish ladies. dynamite. lv pa

Tot: 0.168s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 19; qc: 83; dbt: 0.0891s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb