Namaste Vietnam!


Advertisement
Vietnam's flag
Asia » Vietnam » North Central Coast » Thua Thien - Huế » Hué
September 21st 2007
Published: September 21st 2007
Edit Blog Post

For those who dont get my title: 'namaste' is an Indian greeting and I have used instead of 'Good morning vietnam' in an attempt to be clever and not cliche.

We finished our trip in India in style by catching a Bollywood film (Aggar) and eating in the Tendulkar's restaurant. Sachin is an absolute legend and his restaurant did not disappoint. It was basically like a museum of his career and even the salt and pepper shakers made up a mini cricket wicket. While I was in India I have been reading a book called Shantaram which is an absolutely unbelievable true story set in Bombay and I believe it is being made into a film soon.

Shantaram Film!

We visited many of the places described in the book and stay in the hostel above the India guesthouse where Shantaram stayed. I would highly recommend you read the book!

From India we flew to Hanoi in Vietnam changing at Singapore. I think one day I will move into Singapore airport. It is unbelievable! Free Internet, Free Xbox 360 game areas, Free samples of food and drink, Free cinema and toilets that flush automatically. Basically a lazy mans paradise, my paradise! After reluctantly leaving singapore airport we departed for Vietnam and met up with our mates Woofy and Dan. It was good to see some familiar faces from home. Our first impression of Nam was just how much quieter and cleaner it was compared to some of the cities in India. It was a welcome change in that respect. It is amazingly cheap out here and we are managing to stay in nice rooms for no more than $4. In Hanoi there is not much things to do or see apart from a bit of shopping or the Water Puppets! The water puppets were extremely boring but in a way quite funny to watch. If you can pay to see 5 minutes then leave I would recommend it.

In Hanoi we booked a boat trip around Ha Long Bay. Ha Long Bay is unbelievable and can only really be seen to be truly appreciated. when you sail around you are surrounded by sizeable rocks usually covered in green plants and trees. I cant really explain it that well really so look it up. Here we went in a grotto, kayaking around the rock formations and also did a bit of high diving off the boat. We only stayed a night on the boat but I wish we had time to also stay on Cat Ba island where were could have done a trek.

After returning to Hanoi we took a bus straight out to Ninh Binh, which is described as 'Ha Long Bay on Land' or 'Ha Long bay on Rice'. Here we hired some mopeds and a guide and went to a place called Tham Coc. Here you can hire a boat and get rowed by a little old man and lady down a river which goes in between and under the little mountains which occupy Ninh Binh. We then travelled to a mountain which we climbed 450 steps up to a temple at the top where you are rewarded with a view of the many rice paddies, small mountains and lakes and rivers which surround the Ninh Binh skyline. From there we went to the old capital of Vietnam which was destroyed in the 1500s. After a tiring day we travelled the highly uncomfortable sleeper bus down to Hue, where I am now.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.045s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0204s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb