Mixed Views from Cham Island


Advertisement
Vietnam's flag
Asia » Vietnam » North Central Coast » Thua Thien - Huế » Hué
November 25th 2006
Published: November 29th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Land AhoyLand AhoyLand Ahoy

Cham Islands off in the distance. Consist of 8 in total some with the expensive swallows nests on them worth 80000000 dong per kilo (2666 pounds)
Hello to all that care.

A quick update, (am lagging behind a few blogs) on our trip to Cham Island. After hearing how nice ours friends had it in Cham I convinced kate to Brave the 2.5 hour journey by boat to Cham Island off the coast of Hoi An. We were told that 11 people were going so prepared for a beachside ging-gang-gooly experience. Our hopes were dashed when we found out that nearly all our fellow travellers were middle-aged germans, then made worse when told that we were the only ones staying overnight in the tent.

Now some may say that that sounds very romantic (and I'm not well known for that), but 2s company and 3s definitely a crowd as the guide had to stay with us. The day proceeded to dash all our hopes of an interesting visit as our fellow companions made no effort to speak to either us or the french guy who was sharing the trip and then complained about the food, etc etc. (Why they are called the master race I'll never know)

The "hightlight of the trip" snorkeling was rubbish as there wasn't much to see and the equipment
The BeachThe BeachThe Beach

except without a secret hideaway, sharks and dying scandanavians, was still lovely and idilic.
was equally rubbish. They didn't even have enough snorkels to go around, and when one german, humourously, (yes I know, very out of character) said that it was fine, he could breath under water we were starting to wish we'd headed north early.

The french/maroccan guy turned out to be a really nice guy, travelling alone to test the water for future single trips. Alas they all left and we were stranded for the next 15 hours on the beach not really knowing what we were going to do.

As it turned out we managed to hitcha ride on a small fishing boat to the small village on the island and spent 3 hours playing Vietnamese billiards, drinking luke warm beer and waiting to go back to our tent for the night. (no ice, electricity goes off at 9pm so fridges are useless)

The trip back in a what can be described as a large rowing boat was slightly hairy due the south china sea waves but despite anxious looks from Kate was arrived in one piece.

After a couple of beers (gratis from the Guide) and much chat in pigeon english about stars, communism and
Cham Island HarbourCham Island HarbourCham Island Harbour

Home to 4000 people and the local fishing fleet. The blue boat is the public one used to bring all their daily needs from the mainland.
the tourist industry Kate and I bedded down in the tent and had a fractured nights sleep, thinking that the tide was about to flood the tent at any moment! It didn't but came within a few metres.

Despite the guide being there the whole experience was quite bizarre and felt very isolating to say the least. We managed to get back to civilisation early by taking the public boat back at 12 rather than wait until 5pm.

So all in all an interesting experience but I'd wait until the season picks up or going with a good group before doing the Cham Island experience! But thats my view.

Pictures and further blogs to follow.

All the best, from your castaways, Mark and Kate


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

SunsetSunset
Sunset

Peace and quiet.........
The day after the night beforeThe day after the night before
The day after the night before

Our beachview tent. Notice the poor occupant savaged by the bed-monster during the night!
Amusing ones selfAmusing ones self
Amusing ones self

The mystical creature from the deep! Just add water....!


Tot: 0.103s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 15; qc: 61; dbt: 0.0544s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb