Floating markets and much more


Advertisement
Vietnam's flag
Asia » Vietnam » Mekong River Delta » Tien Giang » My Tho
January 18th 2007
Published: February 22nd 2007
Edit Blog Post

Paddy FieldsPaddy FieldsPaddy Fields

The mekong delta is Vietnams Rice Bowl
Our last bit of Vietnam is the Mekong Delta. Vietnams rice bowl - lots of paddy fields. We booked a tour with a small group for 3 days: cunning business concept: They specialise in small groups, charge double to the competition, advertise only local transport (to really get the feel of things) and then make a fortune as their costs are so low. Grumble grumble but we saw loads and enjoyed it very much.
Ist day we went from a city bus from Saigon to a regional bus to Can Tho (there was loud vietnamese standup comedy videos all the way) It was funny how the vietnamese passangers giggled away. then a cyclo (like a wheelchair with a bicycle attached at the back) each to the river where we cought a boat, where we went for a walk through banana trees and past pineapple plants (did you know that each plant only produces one fruit per year and then dies?) to a tropical fruittasting and classical music concert. Then we took bikes and saw loads of paddy fields on the 10km ride. Rice fields are intensely green while the rice grows and then become seas of gold when the rice is ready to harvest. The vietnamese have about 3crops a year, so we went to see a factory where the rice is processed and packed. Also we saw how coconut candy is made and rice wine, banana schnaps (awfull!!!!) and rice paper for springrolls. And all that before lunch!
For lunch we had fresh springrolls (i.e. not fried) prepared in front of us with bits of Elephant ear fish. Delicious! Dip made of tamarind went down well too.
Also we had Morning Glory for lunch and for dinner. The english parts of the group couldn't help giggling. It is a green spinach like veg that is put into soups as they are served.
The day continued in that pace. and after a rowing boat, another 2 busses, a rickety trailer for a motorcycle that carried all 7 of us plus luggage, 2 ferries and another walk, we arrived at a "homestay" country house where we had dinner (hotpot) under the stars. Amazing! I hadn't seen stars like that since the desert. (jUST in case I hadn't mentioned the weather is amazing now, blue skies and lots of sunshine, not too hot)
to put a crown on a day like this we were then taken in a rowing boat on a small arm of the river and saw loads of fire flies. Its like a fairylights that move by themselves. Wonderful!

Next day we got up at 5.30 and took a boat to the floating market. Lots of boats selling mainly food. They hang the products they have for sale from a long pole that sticks up so that you can see from afar where you need to row to, to find waht you want. They also don't need to shout then!
We had noodle soup and sweet sticky rice from two different boats for breakfast and really enjoyed being out on the water. (We ignored the fact that the beansprouts in our soups had just been washed in Mekong water....)Went to see more little factories (bricks, coal brickets, more ricepaper) to then go back to our homestay where they taught us to make springrolls. Good fun! Mister Shaky hands had a sleep in one of the hammocks meanwhile. Very nice!
Next day we went to a bigger floating market and then continued to Chau Doc, where we stayed one night.
From there we took a long boat trip to Phnom Penh.
We have enjoyed Vietnam even though we weren't able to do a lot of individual travel there. If any of you are considering going there, go for it - it is really easy!

TK: The country holds over 85 million people. They write in a language that uses a western alphabet. They are therefore a bridge between the east and the west; half capitalism, half communist. The country is going to be a powerhouse in the next few years and I can imagine that any of you wishing to invest in the region could do well here.
Bastard.




Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



Tot: 0.125s; Tpl: 0.018s; cc: 13; qc: 63; dbt: 0.0696s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb