Cool, Crazy and Communist


Advertisement
Vietnam's flag
Asia » Vietnam » Central Highlands » Lam Dong » Da Lat
July 19th 2008
Published: July 19th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Dalat Dalat Dalat

Xuan Huong Lake
Dalat is just a few hours from the coast but the temps are nice and cool (15-24 c). We walked around in shorts and tee shirts and the locals were dressed for winter with knit caps and heavy coats. It was a nice break from the heat of the coast. 800,000 thousand domestic tourists and only 80,000 foreigners visit each year.

It's a bohemian little mountain town, folks wear berets, there is an Eiffel Tower in the center, a lake, pagodas, churches and the Crazy House. We discovered Dalat Wine, perhaps the best wine under $2 in the country! We wanted to visit the winery but no one could understand why we wanted to visit a factory.

The Crazy House is just that - crazy. It is a guest house but most people just go to see how crazy it really is. It feels like Alice in Wonderland with all of tacky design and decor. The tackiness spills all over town including the Swan Boats on the lake, unique looking hotels and the oddest dressed people you could imagine.







Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement

Eyes on YouEyes on You
Eyes on You

This is in one of the bedrooms
Swan BoatsSwan Boats
Swan Boats

Yes, we did it


11th August 2008

great time
Ruth; I just went on your blog and was so impressed to see all that you are doing and having fun while doing it. Everything is still the same here just busy as usual. I have enjoyed reading your blogs and looking at your pictures, it looks just amazing! Continue to have a wonderful and safe journey. Your "insurance" friend, Kay.

Tot: 0.038s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 23; dbt: 0.02s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 3; ; mem: 1mb