SILK FACTORY IN FERGANA


Advertisement
Uzbekistan's flag
Asia » Uzbekistan
May 7th 2007
Published: May 7th 2007
Edit Blog Post

KOKANDKOKANDKOKAND

PALACE OF KHUDAYAR KHAN
Gisele our truck left a few days earlier, Toni drove through Tajikistan and we'll meet up with them in Kokand, the morning of our departure we said goodbye to the people getting off in tashkent, sad moment but the trip must go on, we took taxis to get to Kokand over a mountain pass called Kimchik pass, it is very strict here no photos allowed, it could be a sensitive military outpost as there were lots of soldiers around, the scenery is stunning, gorgeous everywhere too bad I can't take a photo, when we finally get to town our taxi driver got lost, so took us awhile to meet up with the rest of the group. We visited a Khan's palace then drove to Fergana for the night, quite nice hotel and the city looks progressive. The next morning we went to a silf factory, it is very interesting as they showed us how the silk is being harvested from the silkworms, and also how they weave the garments and carpets, all that sort. Had lunch at the town then headed to the border, said our goodbye to our Uzbek guide Jalol then on to the Kyrgyz side.

Kokand
KOKANDKOKANDKOKAND

KHUDAYAR KHAN PALACE
:

(alternative spellings: Khokand, Khoqand; Uzbek: Quqon; Russian: Коканд; Tajik/Persian:Куканд/کوکند ;Chagatai: خوقند) is a city in Fergana Province in eastern Uzbekistan, at the southwestern edge of the Fergana Valley. It has a population of 192,500 (1999 census estimate). Kokand is 228 km southeast of Tashkent, 115 km west of Andijan, and 88 km west of Fergana. It is nicknamed “City of Winds”, or sometimes “Town of the Boar". It is located at 40°31′43″N, 70°56′33″E at an altitude of 409 meters.

Kokand is on the crossroads of the ancient trade routes, at the junction of two main routes into the Fergana Valley, one leading northwest over the mountains to Tashkent, and the other west through Khujand. As a result, Kokand is the main transportation junction in the Fergana Valley.
Kokand (alternative spellings: Khokand, Khoqand; Uzbek: Quqon; Russian: Коканд; Tajik/Persian:Куканд/کوکند ;Chagatai: خوقند) is a city in Fergana Province in eastern Uzbekistan, at the southwestern edge of the Fergana Valley. It has a population of 192,500 (1999 census estimate). Kokand is 228 km southeast of Tashkent, 115 km west of Andijan, and 88 km west of Fergana. It is nicknamed “City of Winds”, or sometimes “Town of the Boar". It is
KOKANDKOKANDKOKAND

KHUDAYAR KHAN PALACE
located at 40°31′43″N, 70°56′33″E at an altitude of 409 meters.


Palace of Khudayar Khan - built 1863-1873, one of the largest & most opulent palaces in Central Asia. 19 of the original 113 rooms survive, and are now a museum.

Fergana or Farghana :

(Uzbek: Farg'ona , Russian: Фергана, Tajik: Фарғона) is a city (1999 population: 182,800), the capital of Fergana Province in eastern Uzbekistan, at the southern edge of the Fergana Valley in southern Central Asia, cutting across the borders of Kyrgyzstan, Tajikistan, and Uzbekistan. Fergana is about 420 km east of Tashkent, and about 75 km west of Andijan. It is located at 40°24′N, 71°46′E. It is considered to be one of the furthest places conquered by Alexander the Great.

INFO COURTESY OF WIKIPEDIA




Additional photos below
Photos: 20, Displayed: 20


Advertisement

KOKANDKOKAND
KOKAND

KHUDAYAR KHAN PALACE
FERGANAFERGANA
FERGANA

SILK FACTORY
FERGANAFERGANA
FERGANA

SASHYLIK VENDORS


Tot: 0.08s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 9; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0501s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb