Silk Road Shenanigans: Fun & Games in Uzbekistan


Advertisement
Asia » Uzbekistan » Bukhara
September 27th 2008
Published: September 26th 2008
Edit Blog Post

“He's followed us a long time now”, M whispered nervously, eyes flickering over the crowd around us. “A very bad man. You know the CNG?” Not personally so far, thankfully, but I’d heard a bit about them. The Uzbek branch of the KGB, which had apparently survived more or less intact after the collapse of the Soviet Union. While they don’t inspire the same level of fear as back in th... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 56, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

Walking around the Ark just before dawnWalking around the Ark just before dawn
Walking around the Ark just before dawn

Bukhara's royal fortress, occupied from the 5th century right up to the 20th.
Kalon MinaretKalon Minaret
Kalon Minaret

47m tall, it so impressed Jenghiz Khan that he ordered it spared. Interestingly, its 10m-deep foundations include stacked reeds - an early form of earthquake-proofing).
Small mausoleum housing Bakhautdin Naqshband's motherSmall mausoleum housing Bakhautdin Naqshband's mother
Small mausoleum housing Bakhautdin Naqshband's mother

Naqshband was the founder of Central Asia's most influential Sufi order.
Naqshband's tomb (on the right)Naqshband's tomb (on the right)
Naqshband's tomb (on the right)

Three anti-clockwise circuits are supposed to bring good luck.



26th September 2008

Rampant Jealousy
I haven't been anywhere since Thailand. These entries of yours are an indulgence for me that rarely end without me feeling jealous and like somehow my life is over because I'm not out having adventures being chased by soviet police forces in foreign countries. I still have a picture of me with a tiger, which still seems to impress people, but I just feel lame somehow. Thanks for rubbing it in. PS- Mark and I are scoping out potential places for our honeymoon- for which I am DETERMINED to get out of the US. Australia/NZ are on the list. Suggestions?
27th September 2008

Thanks for a wonderful blog on my 60th birthday!
What a great blog, Michael! Loved it, a special treat to read on my birthday, before we head off for our three day walk. Photos are amazing, along with a great text. Looking forward to the book!
27th September 2008

Great Timing!
Great blog timing for Dad's special birthday Michael! It is always a joy to read your blogs; so informative and fun. See you in a few days!
27th September 2008

Michael "Bourne" Meadows
Hey Michael, Really enjoyed the blog. Good work evading the security forces:)
27th September 2008

I check out travelblog regularly despite not being a blogger, and I must say, I look forward to your entries as they are very well crafted. And half the places you've been to, I never would have thought to go to, but are now on my list of places I want to see for myself. Keep writing and safe and happy travels.
28th September 2008

Hi Michael, Top storytelling as ever. The photos of the blue architecture are stunning.
28th September 2008

the more blog u ve put up, the more i realize...what i ve missed fr central asia trip =| as always...great words,great eyes, great adventures..michael !! =)
28th September 2008

ANOTHER anti-climax!
Mate that's now TWO! First you were going to get into a fight - then they (or was it really you...?) whimped out and went home. Secondly, this! I want some action! Haha, ah the beauty of armchair-travelling :) But seriously, that was splendidly fantastic, and despite your caution (via Joel) i cannot wait to experience it all myself. I leave Perth on Jan 6th! :)
14th October 2008

Another great blog! :) I am now back from Kyrgyzstan where I came to no harm. Uzbekistan is another mystery country that I would not mind having a look at as soon as I get brave enough. Well, as soon as I get enough time I will close my eyes and jump more like. Did you meet any lone women travelling there?
12th November 2008

Re: Mell
great to hear mell, will be looking forward to reading the blogs of your trip there! as for uzbekistan, i didn't meet any lone women travellers there, although overall there were more tourists around than in kyrgyzstan, (a few big overlander package groups). i'd have to say that UZ did feel a little less welcoming than KYR in some ways, but overall i'm sure it'd be fine.
2nd March 2009

Thanks for the reply Michael :) I didnt see it until now. I just have to figure out where I am going to get the Uzbekistan visa and try to find at least one lone woman who has been there for reassurance. Pity my boyfriend is not so interested in going. Where did you get your visa?
16th March 2009

Thanks Michael :) That is good to hear. Somebody else also told me they had no trouble getting their Uzbek visa so I am feeling hopeful. :)
6th October 2009

give more info on games
24th January 2011

The Ultimate Tourist
My name is Jennie and i would just like to inform you that there now is a webpage called http://theultimatetourist.com, where tourists around the world finally can get some use out of all the photos they have, posing by different tourist attractions. Here you can choose from over one hundred attractions and typical touristic activities, upload your photos and collect one tourist point for each photo. Reach different levels and everybody over 80 points will become Ultimate Tourists (Remember you have to be in the photos yourself, to prove you were actually there.. :). So if you want to compete with your photos, or just spread the word, go into theultimatetourist.com Swedes are dominating the top 20-list for the moment. Challenge them!

Tot: 0.088s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 13; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0543s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb