Should we stay or should we go?


Advertisement
Published: April 5th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Get your motors running...Get your motors running...Get your motors running...

HEAD OUT TO THE HIGH WAY!
Mon didn't sleep very well that night and we really liked the place, so we decided not to leave at 8am and maybe leave a bit later. We walked down to the tourist office (which was a tiny little place tucked away and only found by asking people in sign language). We met a lovely lady there who spoke good English but in a REALLY strong comedy accent. She told us it was her birthday and we wished her happy birthday and chatted for while. She told us we could also get a train down south when we were ready which was only 34 baht for a 4 hour journey (about 55p). We said goodbye and then walked back to the hotel, considering getting the train that day. We went to the station to enquire and found out there was a train in about an hour and one that evening. On the way back to the hotel we saw a place hiring out mopeds for 200 baht a day, and before log we had forgotten all the crazy talk of leaving this great place and were wobbling off down the road on a little 125cc moped.

We headed down to
Dumb and dumberDumb and dumberDumb and dumber

Our biker names were Penis 1 and Penis 2. Look at our shiny hemlets!
the local beach for swimming (the 2 nearby ones were a tad on the manky side). We sped down the coastal road and there were some lovely views of mountains, beaches, countryside and little towns. The road actually crossed the local airport's runway! We got to the beach, hired deck chairs and sat and people watched on the beach. Joe went for a swim when he got too hot, only to find that the water was almost as hot as the air. He had a little splash about then rejoined Mon for more lounging. When we were all lounged out, we headed back to town for a shower. After we had showered we went for a nice evening ride along the seafront the other way turning round when in got really dark and then heading back to the night market again for dinner. This time we found a little stall with a lovely waitress and an English menu - so we could have whatever we wanted and there would be no doubt about the bill at the end. Joe had shrimp with chilli and rice and squid with roasted veggies. Mon had “Sea fruits in coconut soup with lemon grass”
A MonA MonA Mon

Joe was Maverick, Mon was Goose.
which was seafood tom yum with loads of chilli in it. Also available on the menu was “scrambled egg with cancers” which we eventually worked out was some type of crab omelette. It was all fiery hot but absolutely delicious and we ate everything with sweaty brows and runny noses. A quick trip to the ice cream lady and our day was complete.



Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement

You can't beat a nicely trimmed bushYou can't beat a nicely trimmed bush
You can't beat a nicely trimmed bush

These were amazing! There were aeroplanes, giraffes, angels, birds, loads!!
Hey you guys!Hey you guys!
Hey you guys!

Mons self portraite from a "speeding" moped.
Colourful fishing boatsColourful fishing boats
Colourful fishing boats

There were loads of these everywhere
Smiling fools!Smiling fools!
Smiling fools!

We were happy to be on our little moped adventure!
Hello sailor!Hello sailor!
Hello sailor!

Mon feeling gay!
We passed loads of these little housesWe passed loads of these little houses
We passed loads of these little houses

People don't need much to be happy out here...
A little villageA little village
A little village

We rode through lots of these and people always waved and smiled.
Entrance to the naval baseEntrance to the naval base
Entrance to the naval base

This was right by the runway we had to ride across.


Tot: 0.073s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 5; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0427s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb