See & Sprout Part II


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » South-West Thailand » Takua Pa
November 28th 2007
Published: November 30th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Day two was a fabulous success…I am so tempted to leak a few images! Some of the children are showing an incredible talent as photographers and the enthusiasm is amazing.

The all wanted to sign out cameras for the entire next day to take to school. Not a good idea, but I did allow one camera to go. As they all attend the same school, hopefully we’ll have some feeling of inclusion.

After school the kids are allowed to select five photographs each, one of which will be printed and used for tonight’s writing session. I am flying solo tonight in the leadership department as Staci is staying in Khao Lak for this evening. It’s a tiring trip going back and forth each night.

The goals for tonight are to “put words with images”. We are hoping to capture the process of this work including the scratch-outs and scribbles, messy handwriting and all the natural things associated with writing. They are writing in Thai and we will be providing the translations as close as possible with Kwang’s help. The beauty of the form is going to be in the joining of the image and the children’s ideas about their pictures. The visual beauty comes from the Thai script and the images themselves.

Last night was a bit of a nightmare when it came to charging all the cameras. I managed to use the power bar I brought from Canada (don’t ask why…it seemed strange that I packed it too…I guess fate knew I’d need it!) We are operating with 12 cameras and four different charging implements but they all need to be charged together so they are ready for the kids to sign out. Staci is running a one-day project workshop for the kids at the Home and Life as well, so Saturday the cameras will be out of commission for the BTN group. They can sign them out as they wish between now and Friday evening. On Sunday they will be going on a coordinated photo shoot out trip with Staci and Khun John who has been recruited to help in my absence. I am away in Bangkok this weekend. On Monday there will be another writing session, Tuesday another if needed. On Wednesday the kids will choose their top five pics for printing to keep themselves and we’ll wrap up the project.

The materials will go with Staci to the States for preparation for the gallery showing that will hopefully be scheduled in February or March! Yay…I get to go to Venice Beach!
Book production will follow in the next few months and there should be books to take back to BTN by April/May.

A tight schedule, but so well worth it! These kids are real artists!



Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

Charging!Charging!
Charging!

Staci K photo


Tot: 0.231s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 56; dbt: 0.1042s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb