The Visa Run


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » South-West Thailand » Ranong
February 22nd 2007
Published: February 22nd 2007
Edit Blog Post

Thailand “Land of Smiles” returns. After leaving Khao Sok we spent the rest of the day heading to Ranong - this time on a local bus where our belongings were safe! The main reason for going was a ‘visa run’ to Myanmar as our 30 day tourist visa was soon to run out.
The people we met in Ranong were totally friendly and we did a visa run with Pon’s Place who were amazing and really kind and helpful.
The trip itself was about ½ hour in a longtail boat across the bay to Myanmar and back. It was a totally comical situation, loads of people doing the same. So there we were, on a little longtail boat crossing into Myanmar huddled under an umbrella to shield us from the sea spray! We got to the other side, climbed onto the ferry pier and went in to the immigration office. Passports stamped (for a fee of course!) by the very friendly officials (who were keen to promote their country, giving us tourist advice) then back on the boat and back to Thailand. Actually we were a little sad we didn't stay longer.
We then went to the immigration office (which strangely is 5 min. down the road!) and got new tourist visa’s for another 30 days.
Pon’s wife then drove us to our hotel to pick up our luggage and very kindly dropped us at the bus stop where the bus was already waiting. We just had time to buy some chicken and fried rice (25Baht, yummy) for lunch and then we set of for Krabi, on the Thai peninsula.
Basically we spent all day on the bus (half of it on the sunny side which was not good as it was boiling!) and about 30km before Krabi it broke down. You can image we thought we would be stuck for ages as they only have buses once in a while. Fortunately after about 20 min. another bus came and we were on our way again.
We stayed in the cheapest room ever (200Baht-yes that is less than £3 for the room!) and the guesthouse owner dropped us at the ferry the next morning. We were on our way to the Islands - Ko Lanta! (Also known as little Scandinavia so Sven will feel at home!).


Advertisement



22nd February 2007

Thialand
I only made Bangkok, but the people were realy great towards us. I see food is still as cheap as ever, but very good. Oh well back to watching the rain. Keep safe, regards Mac

Tot: 0.12s; Tpl: 0.018s; cc: 12; qc: 56; dbt: 0.0492s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb