Railay Rocks!


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » South-West Thailand » Railay
February 14th 2011
Published: February 15th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Beautiful!Beautiful!Beautiful!

The Beach Is Not Bad Either ;)
Enough!! We've loved the party town and packed beaches of of Phi Phi but its time to get some peace and quiet!! Step forward Railay: beautiful, peaceful, laid back Railay. A rock climbing mecca hemmed in between two huge jungle clad peaks. And the treasure resting below these curvacious cliffs doesn't disappoint either – chalky white sand and crystal clear water. So grand is Railays towering landscape that no large boats can get near its shore – nor can any roads be built to connect the mainland that lies beyond its rocky borders. You were stunning Phi Phi but its a silver medal I'm afraid.

OK OK I will lay off the adjectives now! As you might have guessed we were quite fond of Railays charms! Of course our arrival here was not quite as smooth as the silky sand beneath our feet. After docking off the bay and seeing a longtail boat come to take us ashore I thought I would go fetch our bags - only to come back 5 minutes later and see our boat sailing into the sunset with Claire on board! She'd finally got away! Anyway once I finally caught the next boat ashore (and found my ever reliable traveling partner...) we set about finding somewhere to stay - which being high season is no mean feat!

We spent the next few days on Railay doing what this place and that beach was built for us to do – read not very much at all. We also found time to meet some fellow travellers whilst in Railay - although thats not always a good thing...earlier while I was blethering away with a couple over a beer Claire was on the beach getting chatted up by some New Zealand bloke. Nightmare!!

Between the lazy hours on the sand we also managed to squeeze in some kayaking out on the bay. We explored the limestone caves of some nearby islands before making our way to some even more remote beaches beyond the coastal stretches of West Railay. Despite living off a diet of Phad Thai and fried rice we decided to blow the budget on our last day on the beach by ordering club sandwiches, fries, beer and lemon shakes. All washed down with some Buddys ice cream. As always we managed to justify it to ourselves – Claire insisting that tomorrow was Valentines Day and we had to celebrate! Ah well you can't put a price on a good time...

Anyway back to the real world tomorrow (sort of...). We need to put in some serious hours on the road to get to Kuala Lumpur where our Indian adventure awaits. Have absolutely no idea where we will be writing to you from next!

Love to everyone back home,

James and Claire x



Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

Striking the PoseStriking the Pose
Striking the Pose

I was just watching the rock climbers...honest!


Tot: 0.107s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 8; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0632s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb