Wow!


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » South-West Thailand » Railay
February 8th 2006
Published: February 8th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Ok so this is very delayed update as I was trying to access Travelblog using an incorrect website address - doh!

Thurs 26th Jan - Sat 29th Jan - Bangkok was mental! It was worth a visit to see the amazing golden, oppulent temples, but the noise and pollution from car fumes meant that two days were enough. Had two text books scams tried on me on the first day (tuk tuks wanting to take you to their shops on the way to temples and being told by others that the temples were shut so that they could take you elsewhere instead!) Fortunately Lonely Planet and some advice from you guys meant that I didn't get sucked in. The tuk tuk and taxi drivers thought I was mad when I said I was planning to walk everywhere, but I did for seven hours each day by the end of which my feet were killing me. Did also take the river boats which were fantastic for only 13 Baht a go (about 20p) and Skytrain for 25 Baht (40p).

Sunday 30th Jan - met friend (Rob) at Bangkok airport and flew down to Phuket. Spent one day at Kata/Karon but moved on the next day to Coral Island Resort on Ko Hae. Ours was the only resort on the island with just 64 bungalows just off a gorgeous beach. Quite a few day trippers during the day, but the beach was pretty empty after about 2.30. Basically spent three days reading and sunbathing which was a great way to wind down after Bangkok/work.

Thurs 2nd Feb - get boat to Phi Phi Don and arrive at Ton Sai to find that our telephone booking for our planned accommodation hadn't worked. Turned out alright though as alternative offered was closer and cheaper but looked just as nice. There are no roads on Phi Phi just cobbled pathways between resorts and kamikaze locals on push bikes! Streets are lined with stalls selling dirt cheap clothes, etc but on the whole I managed to resist buying up the stock (partly because they seem to cater for Thai size girls i.e. tiny and as Rob will testify loads of their shorts don't fit anyone over a size 6!)

Fri 3rd Feb - the Sketolene didn't work Alex and got bitten on legs and that was during the day - bummer, although fortunately not too itchy! The nicer beach of Ao Loh Dalam was only a five minute walk from our accommodation and we went there to hire a sea kayak. Paddled out to Monkey Beach and then on to Nui Bay which was a fantastic beach. Stop to go snorkelling there. The coral was not all that great, but the brightly coloured fish were fab. On our return journey the wind picked up and sea was choppy so it was really hard work and took us 45 mins to get back, twice as long as outward trip. Once back we trek up to a viewpoint as recommended in LP. Not a good idea in flip flops as only a rough track and disappointing results once at destination as very overgrown so no good photos to be had. Also loads of mozzies which I somehow escaped but unfortunately they chose Rob this time! Went for a massage in the evening. I was planning to have Thai massage which I thought you stayed clothed for, but girl recommended oil massage instead as it was more relaxing. Therefore have to strip off to undies even though it's a glass fronted place - where are Bridget pants when you need them?! Alledgedly these massages often send you to sleep, but don't know how cos she had very strong thumbs and I couldn't help yelping a couple of times. Also couldn't resist a giggle every now and again due to butt pummelling, pushing your back so hard that all air was expelled from your lungs, pulling fingers and toes to make them crack and applying so much pressure to temples thought she was trying to kill me!!! All that for 300 Baht for an hour so a darn sight cheaper than UK, but def different! Will try another at some point to see how it compares. Fantastic meal tonight of swordfish cooked in ginger. Go to a bar and witness a couple of rounds of Muay Thai boxing, until a nutty Brit takes on the challenge to have a go in order to win free alcohol - no it wasn't me!

Saturday 4th - Up early (oh ok it was only 8am but it seemed early!) to go to Phi Phi Leh, undeveloped island where The Beach was filmed. Go by private long tail boat and get to Pileh Bay before any tourist boats arrive so have it to ourselves. Gorgeous lagoon bay with the most amazing turquoise shallow sea which we get out to swim in. Pass another couple of bays but don't stop as tourist boats have already arrived. Stop and get out at Ao Maya, location for most of "The Beach". Not as big as on screen , but that was because they digitally enhanced it to make it look more impressive for the film! Snorkel again here.

Sunday 5th Feb - Get boat to Krabi (on mainland) and then taxi and long tail boat to Railey. Staying in Railey West where bungalows are set in tropical gardens just off beach but look old and cronky outside but are fantastic inside. Rent another kayak to explore Railey coast and towering fantastic limestone cliffs. Loads of fantastic climbing routes - my bruv would love it! Paddle back in time to watch sunset whilst sat on the beach with a beer - this is the life!

Monday 6th Feb- todays activity, rock climbing! Booked a half day introductory rock climbing course. Rob was a tad apprehensive to start with, but was up for it and successfully completed three routes as did I and says he'd go again. I thought that as we were beginners the instructor would do all the belaying, but oh no we had to belay one another! Wasn't too sure about this as I've only ever trusted Steve/Max and friends to belay me before now, but it was absolutely fine. Fantastic views at the top of routes, but no camera up there with me! Sunset tonight on Phra Nang beach and I get carried away taking photies some of which I'll try to get to you soon.

Tuesday 7th Feb - Rob's last day so spend time relaxing on beach to top up tans. Check out of a/c luxury and into budget version of fan/cold water shower in same resort. Own bungalow in tropical gardens 150metres from beach for 800 Baht (11 quid) still not bad though! Rob leaves at 5ish and so I start the next part of my adventure. Plan to stay in Railey for a couple of days as I like the chilled pace here and then plan to move on to Ko Lanta later in the week.

Having a fantastic time, really enjoying the mix of relaxing, sightseeing and activities. Food is brilliant and so cheap. Have eaten Thai every night apart from one and a weeks food costs less than a night out at Thai Balcony in Bath! Sorry but not missing work yet!

Well that's me caught up for a bit - let's hope this Blog transmission works!
To be continued........



Advertisement



Tot: 0.118s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0433s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb