December in Phuket


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » South-West Thailand » Phuket
December 27th 2010
Published: December 28th 2010
Edit Blog Post

We arrived in Phuket on Dec 12, only to find the hotel we had booked for three weeks turned out to be less than suitable. It involved a lot of false advertising as to location and to the state of the rooms. The icing on the cake was when we were told we could not use the pool because there was broken glass in it and maybe it would be cleaned out tomorrow. After a terrible night of noise and partying from the young Italian men this place seems to attract, we decided we could not stay there, and went off in search of something more suitable. We just happened to walk past a travel agent who had a sign in the window advertising a. condo for rent. We went in, went to see the condo, and for very little more money than that horrible hotel room, got ourselves a cute little apartment complete with kitchen, bedroom and living room. Perfect for a 3 week stay.

Christmas in Phuket has been an adventure of sorts, in that mostly it is a non event. The majority of Thai people are Buhdist, and therefore do not celebrate Christmas. But, because a lot of tourists come here for Christmas, most make an effort to display some sort of Christmas spirit, no matter how misguided that be.

During the first week we were here, was Carnivalle, celebrating the beginning of the high season, complete with a huge (2hr long) street parade, stage set up at the beach for live local talent and cultural performances,fireworks, and of course another excuse for more temporary bars and food stalls on the beach. Lasted about 4 nights, and for the most part was very entertaining.

We have done some of our usual type tours while here, and plan to go sailing before we leave, which will be another post. So for now, enjoy the pictures.


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement

Chinese lion dance on pillarsChinese lion dance on pillars
Chinese lion dance on pillars

This was a fantastic show, the acrobatics were amazing, the two people inside seemed as one.
more lion dancemore lion dance
more lion dance

we were deep in the crowd, not a good vantage point for pictures, enjoyed the show anyway
Lady boyLady boy
Lady boy

and yes, that is cleavage (implants!!!)
"our" beach"our" beach
"our" beach

looks crowded, but for the most part, there are loads of empty chairs


Tot: 0.115s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0294s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb