Viva la Tuk Tuk!


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » South-West Thailand » Phuket
May 7th 2009
Published: May 7th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Dearest Readers,

Nemo here. Welcome to the first edition of the Aleks and Nemo Show!

As this is a first post, don't expect anything too spectacular, we're just learning. We are blogging like this so that those of you who aren't MyFaceTube converts can find out what we've been doing, and this will most likely be our weapon of choice when keeping you all up to speed with our wrong doings and mischieviousness. It's also for those of you who can't access these sites from work and want to find out how we're going. We are going to try and take this in turns writing as much as humanly possible, so that we don't have to tell the story in some weird fairytale third person perspective - I tried it and it was kinda creeping me out....

SO... Without further a-doodle-do...

As most of you already know from previous emails, we have been separated since the 21st April, Aleks in Sydney, me in Thailand... Aleks working and sorting out selling cars and the small task of PFO closure, whilst I was, as always, doing the brunt of the hard work - learning to be a Technical Diver in beautiful Thailand. As it was rather strenuous on both ends, we decided after much deliberation to get Aleks to Phuket, STAT. As lovely as Sydney is it just wasn't cutting the mustard for her.

Aleks arrived in Karon Beach yesterday (April 6) after spending the best part of the trip next to some lovely bogan women who were doing their best to demolish the bottle of Jim Beam they had bought in the Duty Free shop, and who were subsequently shitfaced about halfway through the flight. The 10 HOUR flight. But luckily for Aleks that meant a couple of sneaky Jim Beam and cokes passed along the line her way. Amazingly enough, she managed to sit in the seat directly next to the one I sat in, and after the flight, I whisked her home in a taxi with me.

Prior to taking her home I spent 2 and a half hours waiting in the tourist lounge of Phuket International, as the cheapest trip out there (220THB) left Karon Beach at four thirty and got to the airport at quarter past six; Aleks' flight didn't arrive until 9pm. It was lovely, the orange vinyl chairs, the two coffees and pot noodles that I bought for 50 baht... Luckily I had my new favourite book in the UNIVERSE with me - Papillon by Henri Charriere (thanks again Kristo). If you haven't read it, READ IT. Anyway, I digress....

After hitting Karon Beach we immediately did what we do best - we went to the pub and had a couple of Singha beers (160THB) whilst deliberating over the events of the past weeks and of what to do with ourselves in the heat and humidity of the next few. We have decided that we are going to veg out here for a couple of days until Saturday morning, and then jump on a Ferry across from Phuket to Ko Phi Phi Don, aka Pee-Pee. This little island paradise, apart from being very expensive, is stunningly beautiful and home to over 1000 aging expats hiding up in the hills away from the tourists. In addition to the geezers, there is a fairly healthy flow of tourists and for good reason. Look up some photos. That's the first step.

After Phi Phi we are going to jump on another ferry to either Ko Lanta, another island in the Krabi Province on the western side of the Southern Thai mainland. Either that or we will just go straight to Krabi itself, and slightly south to a beach hut place called Dawn of Happiness - only good things can come from a place with a name like that!

Anyway, I'm not going to tell you too much of what we're going to do. All we've done today is go for a wander to the markets, buy a couple of bits of Thai clothing (like the obligatory Thai Red Bull singlet for me and some cute sandals and skirt for Aleks), took some stupid touristy photos, and realised that it is WAY too hot to do anything else - the hottest day since I have been here I guarantee. We'll probably just end up going to the pub this afternoon. It's only 11:30 - Jesus! Aleks is only here for five seconds and I'm already waking up at 6:30am.

Will keep you guys posted as to what's happening at a later stage when we've actually done some more stuff. If you have any questions or anything, you have our email addresses!

Signing Off,

Mr Fish (& Aleks)

PS - No photos on this one, I'll get to that eventually. Check my FB page, if not, I can email you some. xox

Advertisement



7th May 2009

mai bpen rai, mai mee bpunhaa
Hope you guys enjoy the cocktails while others of us are at work...... Make sure you have one or two or three for me.... xoxoxoxoxoxoxo
7th May 2009

WOOOOOOHOOOOO tuk tuk
Wooooo glad you guys are safe and sound.. and beginning a wonderful adventure which I am truly jealous of. Love you both xoxoxooxoxoxox
9th May 2009

More News!!
Come on you guys...can't be having such a great time that you can't send more news to those who can't be there too!!! :) :) Love you lots xxxxx

Tot: 0.045s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 11; qc: 24; dbt: 0.019s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb