Time for Thai!


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » South-West Thailand » Phuket
December 5th 2008
Published: December 5th 2008
Edit Blog Post

It was a quick flight from Singapore, only about an hour and 40 minutes, and we had decided to fly Air Asia, as it was quite a bit cheaper and was one of the airlines that flew direct to Phuket. It is one of those budget airlines where you don't get any drinks or snacks, which was fine, and you also don't get assigned seats, so it is first come first seated at the gate. Which is a bit funny to watch how people get a bit agro and try and butt in line, or walk extra super fast down the gangway to the plane trying to pass people.

The flight itself was fine, until the landing. Or attempts at landing, which was a bit scary! When we were almost touching the ground and landing, the pilot pulled back up, and we were heading straight back upwards and he had it pinned, with everyone thinking "what the hell is happening??", but no one is saying anything out loud. It was a pretty quiet plane for at least 10 minutes then the pilot finally came on and said something about retrying the landing. The flight attendant then came on and said it had to do with wind. So it was take 2, after a nice sight seeing trip over Phuket. Thankfully this landing went fairly smoothly and we had made it.

We took a taxi from the airport to our hotel, Benyada Lodge, which we had found on the internet and also in one of the Lonely Planet guides. It is a really nice, clean hotel with a mix of modern and thai furnishings and really friendly staff. There is a roof top pool and bar, and a huge breakfast is included in the 2300 THB rate every day. We only end up getting about half the breakfast cuz it is way to big! It is located in Hat Surin or Surin Beach, which is an area that has been getting a bit more built up lately, but still is quieter than other areas on Phuket. The beach is beautiful and is lined with really good restaurants and a few shops. There is also a big temple right off of the beach which is busy everyday with locals. The water temperature is on average 29 degrees year round and it a lot less humid than in Singapore, which is nice. Brett forgot what it felt like to have a dry shirt after 2 months there! So far we have had some of the best Thai food we have ever had, it is amazing. So fresh and flavourful, and cheap. Beer, pop and drinks are cheap, while wine is expensive, but guess it isn't really a wine drinking country. Beer will have to do. See if I can handle that. I know Brett has no problem.

We rented a scooter one day for about $13 for 24 hours. And once you got the hang of the rules of driving here, which basically seems like there are no rules - just keep looking around you cuz people are passing from every which way, it was a great way to cruise around and see the sights! We are planning on heading to Koh Lanta which is one of the less busier islands south of here in the next day or 2 and will spend at least a week there, and then... not sure. We will see where we end up! Just know what date we have to be at the airport, and that's about it!




Additional photos below
Photos: 18, Displayed: 18


Advertisement

Surin Beach in the day.Surin Beach in the day.
Surin Beach in the day.

And the jet skis you don't want to rent, as we saw a good scam the first half hour we were there trying to get people to pay for damage they didn't do. Always look at the jet ski before you rent it is the morale of that story...
Lunch on the beach.Lunch on the beach.
Lunch on the beach.

Prawn Pad Thai, Chicken Green Curry, Rice and 2 beers for about $12 Australian.
The beach in Patong which is the busier tourist area in Phuket.The beach in Patong which is the busier tourist area in Phuket.
The beach in Patong which is the busier tourist area in Phuket.

About a 20 minute scooter ride south from where we are staying.
Brett waiting for the scooter to get filled. Brett waiting for the scooter to get filled.
Brett waiting for the scooter to get filled.

And Brett and his mini helmet. Don't really think he is a Thai Medium. But oh well. Least it's something!


8th December 2008

ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh how i love thai!!
I AM SO JEALOUS!!!! I am sure you are loving Thailand! I miss it there so much and want to go back SO BAD this Spring. We shall see. Email me or text me when you can - got gossip for ya!! xoxoxo Big hugs and loves to you and Brett n' butter!

Tot: 0.123s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 12; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0614s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb