Sawas Dee!!!


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » South-West Thailand » Phuket
June 18th 2008
Published: June 18th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Howdy!

Sorry we haven't updated the blog for a while but we were too busy sunning ourselves to bother. We have moved on to the beach bum period of the year where we just sit on our jacksees all day- quality!!
This all began moving up the east coast then on The Perenthian Islands, just off the north east coast of Malaysia. Beautiful, very beautiful. Accommodation was a beach hut on the 'big island' which wasn't that big really. There are no roads on these islands and the high season hadn't quite started so it was relatively quiet. The sand was very white, the sea was perfectly clear and the sun was hot. Parfait!

The whole place had a very laid back feel and a resident sea eagle who lived on the beach. It had damaged its wing sometime back and because could no longer hunt relied on being given food by the locals. The first time we saw it, people were taking pictures and getting really close. Coll got cross because she thought it had just been injured and folk were taking advantage but then felt daft as it turned out it's been there for years just lolloping around. Also, huge monitor lizards skulking under your hut which which eat kittens for dinner.

Managed to get in some fantastic snorkelling there and saw lots brightly coloured fish and corals, reef sharks and sea turtles which came close enough to touch. It felt amazing swimming along with them. There were also lots of what our captain called 'orange people' which were Chinese holiday makers, all wearing bright orange life jackets. Luckily, they were all isolated to small areas near the shore so we could escape because they were screaming and shouting very loudly which always encourages the wild life to come close to you!!One dude even had a beer on the go (also scary large nappy like swimming trunks-not a good look)

John had an interesting experience whilst snorkelling off a little island called Kapas. He had gone early in the morning as he was told he might be able to see reef sharks and stingrays at this time. He went in on his own. 10 minutes or so passed when he falt a little nip on his leg. It was a baby reef shark which he shooed away. Then he realised there was a group of
Orange PersonOrange PersonOrange Person

On the way to the Perenthians-speed boat
mumy and daddy reef sharks. They are normally quite shy if there is a large group of people but as J was only one, they became really rather curious. Swimming up to his face one after the other from all different directions. He thought it was time to get out of the water! They continued until they had basically chased him out of the sea. He was paggered when he got to the shore (and a bit scared)

From the mainland we caught a bus to Penang, another former British colony with plenty of old shophouses and quite a colourful night life. Also, lots of european nutters who live there. One night were stopped twice by a very loud german man who kept saying he was lost and an old tramp from Devon who told us a story (with no encouragement!) about having to sit with a corpse all afternoon after someone sitting next to him in the pub keeled over.

Penang was colonised by the East India Company by a man called Francis Light. One of the first things he did? Selected an area to grow strawberries, then demolished the native jungle on one side of a hill so he could have a cream tea.

After 2 nights in Penang/Georgetown, crossed the border into Thailand, grabbing our duty free Gin on the way. Oh joy! We arrived in Ao Nang near Krabi which has turned into a busy resort area. When Coll went in 2000 it only had one bar, now its just crammed with bars, restaurants, tailors and other tourist traps. We could have had 500 thai massages and suits made up for us by now, very pestery type atmosphere. We have moved to Phuket for 3 days now, found a good deal on a swish hotel as it's low season and the prices are slashed, enjoying some luxury. John even managed to get in a days monsoon surf to keep his withdrawal symptoms at bay.

Next stop Bangkok!




Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement

SatanSatan
Satan

One winged willy
Sunset- tacularSunset- tacular
Sunset- tacular

Pure cheese
TempoleTempole
Tempole

Huge red inscense burners, very fragrant
Golden BuddahGolden Buddah
Golden Buddah

This was at the top of a super steep 1237 steps, amazing veiws and place for much meditation
Veg Market PhuketVeg Market Phuket
Veg Market Phuket

5 for a pound your tomatoes, 5 tomatoes for your pound


Tot: 0.071s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 12; qc: 53; dbt: 0.0451s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb