day 10 & 11


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » South-West Thailand » Phuket
May 16th 2008
Published: May 16th 2008
Edit Blog Post

wow. after training today, i came home, collapsed, and slept for 4 1/2 hours. i just finally woke up.

i won't say training is easier, because no matter how good you get, it is always going to be difficult. as you improve, the trainers are that much harder on you. that said, i know i am improving.

last week i had to get used to the initial shock of this amount of exercise. this week i had to adjust to a more difficult level, and deal with being sick. also, i went through a few days where i was just not having a good time, and was really questioning whether or not i wanted to be doing this at all. i suppose that if my muscles had to feel sore before they felt stronger, i can only expect a similar process in my mind.

anyways, i know i am getting better now because i am actually having FUN again. morale has improved in beth's mind! it is fun to joke with the instructors. when they tell us to go punch the bag for a round, we just punch them instead. the amount of joke-sparring makes me happy, but we also still know how to buckle down and be more serious.

i didn't realize until today how little english some of them speak.

(he is showing me a clinching move. he gets me in a position i don't know how to get out of.)

beth: what do i do?
inst: heh?
beth: if you do that, what do i do?
inst: wha doo ah doo
beth: you do this (demonstrating). and me? i do....what?
inst: ah doo wat

or yesterday, an instructor said "left knee" but i guess i thought he said "left kick" so i kicked, and my ankle went into the point of his elbow. it is pretty sore, and i have had to rub boxing linemant into it since then. an instructor asked me,

inst: you ok?
beth: yeah. i kicked, and my ankle (point) hit his elbow (point).
inst: ankle? elbow?
beth: yes
inst: knee?
beth: (confused) no.
inst: you ok?
beth: (knowing that no communication took place there) yes.

but the thing is, if you are not looking for verbal communication, they are really quite effective at explaining what to do or what to fix. don't get me wrong: some of them do speak english. and those who don't, i usually don't notice. we can still easily joke around, they can teach me effectively, and i am learning a lot.

ALSO, i finally rented a moped. just for 2 weeks, since that is pretty much all i have left here. it is nice to have the freedom of a vehicle, my first vehicle (though temporary) in 2 years.

off to find some books on cambodia!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.099s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0463s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb