first day of muay thai training


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » South-West Thailand » Phuket
May 5th 2008
Published: May 5th 2008
Edit Blog Post

today was my first day of muay thai training. absolutely exhausting!

it was supposed to begin with a 6km run (yikes) but it was raining, and at tiger muay thai they are all about guest services, which includes making sure you don't get sick.

instead, we were subjected to 30 min. of skipping rope. which i DARE you to try. remind me: why was this fun as a kid? why did i voluntarily do this act during recess?

joking complaints aside, what a workout! wow! after that, they taught us how to wrap our hands, and we did 3 hours of muay thai training with bags: kicks, blocks, punches, elbows, etc.

those of us who were there for our first day were encouraged to go home after the first training session. i got sucked into the weights section and a geriatric man who could easily kick my ass decided to take it upon himself to coach me (in thai) in weight training.

i made friends with these two guys who have a NICE bungalow next to camp. nick, who insists that working in a cubicle is nothing compared to a crowd chanting your name as you enter the fight ring (imagine that), brought a ton of movies. he and brandon and i will likely spend some time between training sessions watching them. i like that i probably would not have become friends with these specific guys in any other context. for all the macho magazines and books they keep in the bungalow ("TAKEDOWNS!" and "GRAPPLING TECHNIQUES FOR BEGINNERS!" and "PROFESSIONAL FIGHTING FOR DUMMIES"), at one point we found ourselves belting out the lyrics to an avril lavigne song on nick's mp3 player. a true sign of a quality group of people.

my calves hurt so much it is hard to walk. did i mention that all muay thai everything ever always is done on the balls of your toes? sheesh. (but i love it.)

i go to bed early these days (9 or 10pm) and i get up as the sun rises and the roosters crow outside my open window. i've already read two books since i left korea. i feel healthier than i have in a while. (it's been one day. perhaps i'm getting a little ahead of myself? we'll see how i feel when i wake up tomorrow.)

for now, dinner down the road at a thai restaurant.

Advertisement



5th May 2008

Yeah, lil sis!
Nice entry, Beth. So cool to hear about what you are doing there. I remember being out in Phuket in '89, when I was out there with the Navy. We would bet on the different kickboxing matches (well, some people did, but not me). It was always red vs. blue (color of shorts). Their ankles were swollen by the end of the fight, with all of the kicks they were making. Of course, the seafood was the best. Prawns the size of large shrimp...fresh caught that day. Enjoy and rest!

Tot: 0.102s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 5; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0722s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb