Phuket Town and Onto Patong


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » South-West Thailand » Phuket
February 26th 2008
Published: March 14th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Feeling a little more refreshed (although it wasn't the best nights sleep and my throat is killing me for some reason) we get up and leave the room to explore Phuket Town.

According to the Lonely Planet, the only things to see here is the day market, some Chinese Shrine and the On On Hotel where they actually filmed scenes for the beach (and not in Kho San as the film says).

Well, the day market was full of food stalls, the shrine was, erm, interesting and the On On Hotel is just like any other Guesthouse really!

Therefore by 11am we had finished our exploration so went back to the Guesthouse to collect our bags and get the local bus to Patong.

Since our lesson learned in Ko Samui, we were determined to shop around first for Backpackers before we settled, but not that easy or comfotable to do when you are pouring sweat and carrying 16 kg on hyour back.

As I was pretty useless due to feeling ill and Di was getting slightly annoyed, she left me at a bar with the luggage whilst she went to look. All the accommodation here is
On On hotelOn On hotelOn On hotel

Where 'The Beach' was filmed
so expensive - 800 bt just for simple Guesthouses!
But somehow we managed to find a place that let us have a fan room with no water for 600 a night on the premise that we stayed for 2 nights - it was clean so why not!

I had a little power nap whilst Di watched a bit of TV in our room (how good is that, some of the 800bt ones didn't even have TV'S) then at 5pm when it had got a bit cooler we went out to explore Patong.

The first thing we noticed is how touristy it is here, it's full of older couples! There are so many Girlie bars here as well with older western men loving it, and also a few he-she bars as well!
The streets are just rammed with people - quite frankly it's like an asian blackpool.

We have a wander around the markets, wander down the beach front and then head back to the room for just after midnight as I'm still not the best and Di's knackered.

How well, beach tomorrow!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.177s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 5; qc: 28; dbt: 0.1499s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb