The Road from Ko Chang (cont'd...)


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » South-West Thailand » Phuket
January 25th 2008
Published: February 6th 2008
Edit Blog Post

The format of this blog will have to change slightly from numbering the days to overall impressions of each area for the simple reason that I can barely remember which day is which anymore. Not that it will matter in the slightest...I only want to let you know that, though the blogs may appear to be getting longer; they will actually be condensing...(Applause)



I like my Germans well done, thank you

The thing about "advice" is that it is usually 100%!s(MISSING)ubjective, and unless you have a pretty firm understanding of the person issuing said advice - you're usually better off on your own.

We've had some terrible advice passed on to us (starting with our travel agent), that we've accepted all too readily, and ignored the best (like - don't eat the ice & dont go to Phuket...). However, Phuket is a necessary evil in order to get to where we want to be, and after Ko Chang, we'll be able to stick it out for a day or two longer (yeah, we're tough that way ;-).

After lying our way out of the travel office and back into the minivan headed to Kata Beach, we're treated to a view of the beaches (Patong & Karon), that we've decided against staying at.

It's like a real life version of, "Let's Make A Deal", where you get to see what's behind doors #1 & 2 before you get to see what's behind the one you've chosen.

Door # 1

Patong Beach looks like my vision of Hell. A shitload of overweight Germanic cheapskate overly tanned hedonists getting barked at by tuk-tuk drivers and t-shirt vendors.

Buh-bye...

Door # 2

Karon Beach actually looks fairly serene (all things considered). A nice long beach with loungechairs and umbrellas (for rent, of course), that seems to be reasonably "yahoo-free".

I told Kim that the Lonely Planet says that Kata Beach isn't as noisy as Karon - so that's why I've decided to "wear the pants" for this decision.

Naturally then, we're excited to see what's behind...

Door # 3

The nice English family that offered up the info on Peach Hill Resort, said that Kata was beautiful (presumably, that's why they've returned), and the Lonely Planet did confirm that it's their pick for "best "beach" on Phuket.

the minivan driver took us up a steep hill and turned into the curved entrance around the fountain at Peach Hill, where our bags were immediately picked up by eager bellboys (more like bell-men), and we're greeted with smiling "Sawadee kra's". Obviously, we have reservations at this fine establishment.

It looks great, (and the van hasn't pulled away yet), so we go to reception and inquire as to the obvious (the obvious being that we can't afford Peach Hill). Just as well; they're fully booked.

Thank God

The van has left and we retrieve our bulging backpacks from the somewhat bewildered bell-men and hurl them onto our travel-weary back to begin the descent into Kata town.

"Hi! Hi! Me Love You Long Time!

After trudging around the town of Kata for roughly an hour, getting turned away by full resort after full guesthouse, we decide to settle on a fairly decent room in a pretty questionable area.

The sun was getting quite low, and if we've learned anything so far on this trip, it's that prices rise as the sun goes down (especially when wearing backpacks).

After a much need shower, we headed out to find something to eat. We pass a ton of tiny bars that only seem to stock a limited amount of liquor (no kitchen are apparent), and are staffed by very friendly women.

I don't think we've said "hello" this many time in one day.

Jason Gives The Pants Back To Their Rightful Owner

Turns out that I'd mixed up Kata with Karon and we're in a smaller version of Patong. After dinner, we runt the gaunlet of tailors selling suits ("cheap for you!"), more vendors selling the same crap, taxi drivers and of course, Thai hookers.

Kim says that come morning, we'll be checking out Karon Beach for new digs if we haven't heard from Angela & Paul by morning. Then she hits the Lonely Planet for a bit while I check out the U.S. primary race on CNN.

It'll be a few days before Kim takes my shitty advice again. Who cares, it's too hot for pants anyway...

Advertisement



Tot: 0.089s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0384s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb