Patong Beach is dry


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » South-West Thailand » Phuket
December 5th 2007
Published: December 22nd 2007
Edit Blog Post

Patong BeachPatong BeachPatong Beach

A little more crowded than Ko Lanta but I managed to get a pedicure
Sorry for the delay but we've been so so busy and internet shops are few and far between where we are.

We arrived in Phuket after a very relaxing journey from Ko Lanta apart from a boat change in the middle of the sea - which is always interesting with heavy luggage at risk of going overboard (with me attached to it!)

We decided to go the Patong Beach in Phuket as it was easy just for one night, although we knew that there were nicer beaches around. It's a very commercial place - a bit like Benidorm/Pattaya and worlds apart from Ko Lanta. We had a lazy day on the beach and chilled out (doing a lot of that). We decided to hit the town for one of our last child free nights only to discover that the whole town was dry! It was the King's birthday- something that Thais take very seriously so sale of alcohol was banned. However we tracked it down and had some beers with our food but had to drink it out of mugs in case the police came by......very USa 1920s prohibition...all I needed was a speak-easy.

We spent the next morning on the beach and in the massive shopping mall (KFC won over Phad thai noodles again) and headed to Bangkok for our last night on our own planning for a quiet one. However, almost everyone on the backpacker trail visits the same places. We were sitting on the Koasan Road when we saw a couple we went tubing with in Laos....so our quiet night wasn't so quiet but good fun. (Those Irish get everywhere)

The next day we headed for the airport to pick up Jill, Kevin and Matthew - but that deserves another entry

lol

Lowri


Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement

mmmmm beermmmmm beer
mmmmm beer

Drinking on the quiet


Tot: 0.075s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0464s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb