Chang Mai ---> Bangkok ---> Phuket


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » South-West Thailand » Phuket
October 10th 2005
Published: October 11th 2005
Edit Blog Post

Travel Day.
Starts off with a brief disagreement over the cost of a taxi run to the airport. The hotel is happy to arrange the transfer for us for 300 bhat. This is odd as it only cost us 120 bhat to get here. We decide to wander down to the main road and hail a Song Taos (Red Open Taxi) which happily takes us to the airport for 80 bhat. It pays to look around.
The transit to Phuket via Bangkok is uneventful save for the 4 hour wait between flights. We found out that food and beverages at the domestic terminal in Bangkok is about a quarter of the price as the international equivalent.
Arriving at Phuket just after 6pm, we have spent a long period of today travelling. This however proves to be only the beginning.
Step in, one taxi driver from the Devil's own driving school. We don't think he was very happy as our transfer is one of the longest runs from the airport. We experience an hour and a half of sheer terror, an impromptu white knuckle ride which involved undertaking, overtaking and a weird game of chicken involving oncoming traffic at speed. I looked over at Scarlet and was amused to see her wearing her rollercoaster face. I on the other hand kept silently saying to myself "are we there yet?' in the hope that this would end.
Thankfully, we arrive at the Marina Phuket at Karon Beach.
We grab a complimentary drink, we must have looked like we needed it as it arrived before we managed to sit down!
Our room is in the jungle! It is beautiful and secluded and for a little joke, the route to it is all uphill!
We get our bearings (and our breath back) and have a cursory look around the small town area immediately surrounding the hotel.
It may be tiredness or the length of the day but I am not as good natured as usual and finally snap as the tenth tailor shop we pass makes yet another launch at me. This is a shame because I find myself agitated for the rest of the evening.
We head back to our room (hiking boots to be purchased tomorrow!) shower and have an earlyish night. There is no TV...
(Piccies to follow)

Advertisement



Tot: 0.075s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 6; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0555s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb