Off to find Leo...


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » South-West Thailand » Phuket
May 21st 2007
Published: December 29th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Day 2: Day trip to Phi Phi Island
Unfortunately Mr Di Caprio had long left the Phi Phi Islands, but I wasn't about to forego the chance to visit some of the most picturesque islands in the world. We did find monkeys that could swim though.

As with all our other ventures, we were picked up bright and early with a number of other couples, and after sorting out our snorkelling get-up, departed from quite a luxurious marina. The weather was stunning, so it was quite scary when we got about 30 minutes offshore and were hit by a massive rain storm. We got absolutely soaked but it only added to the adventure!

It was still raining when got to The Beach beach, but as you'll see in the photos the colour of the ocean was amazing. Not to mention the water temperature was about 30 degrees. Leo must have had a tough job filming there! It was quite a special experience.

We spent the next couple of hours touring around the massive limestone coves of Phi Phi Le islet, which descend abruptly into the sea. (The island group covers close to 400km2, but is mainly comprised of Phi Phi Don and Phi Phi Le.) The main attraction is a large Viking Cave, which is inhabited by thousands of swallows. I don't reccommend that you try Bird's Nest soup in Thailand, even if you are curious. (It truly is bird's nest soup). We also got to see Pepsi drinking, swimming monkeys. Definitely my highlight. I wish I could have one, but apparently they're vicous little tikes!

We stopped for lunch at Phi Phi Don, the larger islet to the north, which was far from 'Survivor' styles! Actually I'm surprised we didn't sink when we drove to another island to spend several hours snorkelling, devouring tropical fruit and feeding the fish. Late in the arvo we made it back to the mainland, so for about 2000 Baht or roughly NZ$80, this was definitely a day trip worth doing.

That evening we had dinner locally at one of the restaurants in Kata Beach, and to be honest you could get away with eating, swimming and hanging out there the whole time if just relaxing was what you wanted in a holiday.


Additional photos below
Photos: 25, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.066s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 6; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0242s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb