Phuket, land of Go Karts ,VIP Cinemas, Shopping and Sushi...Thai culture at it's finest!!


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » South-West Thailand » Phuket
December 5th 2006
Published: December 5th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Sorry about the delay in getting the latest blog up to date but things have been hectic with all the travelling etc!! So our trip to phuket began with a pleasant enough boat ride, then a swealtering 'air con' taxi to good old patong beach, cheese and sleaze capitol of Thailand I would say, but for our time there we loved it!! We did absolutely nothing cultural during our time in Phuket, unless sunbathing, go karting, shopping, cinema or drinking count as a cultural activity?!!

On our first night we all went out for tea to the beach, which was nice, then Craig and Matthew were tired so Vic, Jonny and I went to see the new Bond Film at the cinema, we were going to go VIP for about the same price as a normal ticket in UK but they were sold out so went cattle class, which was quite comfy!!Vic and i weren't prepared for the salute to the king during the trailors, which contains about 2 mins of soft music with pictures of the king scrolling down the screen, everyone has to stand in respect....being the small children we are, the 2 of us were in absolute knots throughout, trying to contain the laughter was just making things worse. We were so ashamed of ourselves for our disrespectful performance!! For anyone who hasn't been yet, Bond is great!!

We were joinned the following day by Lisa, Claudia, Amanda and Anna, the English girls we met in Phi Phi. Was great to be reunited!! The next few days consisted of beach, home, shower, hit the town. Our favourite place to go was G Spot bar in soi tiger (heaps of bars under 1 roof) classy name i know, but all very similar in the name department, the one next door was called wet dreams...u get the picture!! Had some great nights there, each bar had it's own bell and each time the bell rings everyone at the bar gets a drink, it costs 1000baht to ring, (we never rang of course) but the english guys who were always there too rang it about every 10 mins!!great nights for us!! The bar maid even went out and bought us buckets for our sangsom because they didn't have any the first night we went, so were drinking out of make shift buckets: 1 was like a pail, vic's was a champagne bucket, and 1 was a measuring jug!!

Apart from our nights drinking we went go karting for the day with Claud and Lisa (who work at a racing circuit at home, needless to say they kicked our asses!!) It was great fun, so funny!!

Another night we went for sushi in this amazing restaurant in the central mall, so much food, then headed to Bond take 1 for Craig Matthew and the girls, take 2 for me and vic, take 3 for Jonny(big bond fan). This time we did it in style, V.I.P. which includes seat in the vip lounge before film with free drinks and nibbles, then for the cinema you get massive seaats which recline into beds, and a blanket, popcorn in wooden bowl and juice in a proper glass!!!! Cinema will never be the same it was just awesome!! so comfy i slept half way through!!

On our last day, me, Vic, Claud and Lisa hired a jeep (who we named Betty) for the day. Claud, having lived in phuket before as a dive instructor took us on a tour of the area, went to Karon beach for lunch, then Kata Noi beach for the rest of the day, managed to smuggle into 5* resort and use their pool and hottub unnoticed, it was great, how the other half live!! Went up the hill to watch a beautiful sunset, views to die for, then went back to good old Patong for our last night.

That night, there was a huge storm and all the electricity in the town went out, lisa and i popped up to my mini bar to retrieve our snacks from the night before, then felt a huge rumble under our feet, thought it was the power going back on but looked outside and saw a huge flash of white light as one of the pylons exploded, it stopped in a minute, but we totally crapped ourselves, thought the whole place was going to explode!! Thankfully it did not and we are still here!!

So that in a nutshell (or not) was Phuket!!




Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement



5th December 2006

Holla from Spain!
Sounds like your having a fantastic time. Were settling into life in Spain well, everythings great when the suns out eh! keep having fun and looking forward to hear more news soon, Luv heatherx
5th December 2006

Tuk Tuk
Seems Thailand will take some time to get over!! Great to hear you Sunday. I'll keep an eye down at the mart for a Tuk Tuk for when youse get home. Alloy wheels??? XXX

Tot: 0.086s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0431s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb