Phi Phi Paradise


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » South-West Thailand » Krabi
December 5th 2007
Published: December 5th 2007
Edit Blog Post

We stayed in Phuket's Karon beach for 2 days. Thats pretty much it! We lazed on the beach and than drank at night. Phuket didn't offer anything new in terms of activities and the beach was not as good as others we have been to. It felt like being in a spanish resort as the beaches are lined with sunbeds and fat foreigners like myself getting a tan.

I was fairly happy to leave Phuket and head to the more secluded island of Ko Phi Phi. We had originally planned to do a 4 day diving course here but time and laziness saw us miss out. Ko Phi Phi is easily the most beautiful island we have visited. In 2004 the island was severely damaged by the tsunami and there is even repair work and new buildings being made today. There are practically no roads on this island so the best way to get around was by taxi boat. When we arrived at the main pier we took one such boat to Hat Yao or long beach. Our accomodation was one of the most basic we have had yet. It was a small wood and metal shack which just about held a double bed in. It was relatively expensive but when you wake up and walk out onto the amazing beach seeing the clear blue waters and tree covered cliffs opposite, you realise what your paying for. In a few days here we explored the two main beaches and mostly sat on the beach where we were staying. One night we sat in a bar and saw a ladyboy show. This basically involved ladyboys in over the top dresses miming very badly to camp songs like raining men. Some of them did just look like fat men in a dress but some are scarily convincing. It is extremely funny getting a taxi boat drunk at 2am in the morning and it costs a lot less then a black cab back in England.

On our last day in Phi Phi we hired some snorkels for the day and swam around the corals around long beach. Donkey said after that it was like being in a different world and he was right. It was amazing to dirft past the wierd and wonderful shaped coral with brightly coloured shoals of fish darting about. Donkey and I saw a shark about 3ft long. It was surreal seeing it so shallow and near the beach but it had no interest in us what so ever. It made me fully regret not doing a proper diving course.

We are now in Krabi which is a pretty standard Thai town and is mainly used for a transport hub. It is the King's birthday today so it will be interesting to see what celebrations are held. Tomorrow we will leave for Malaysia. I will be sad to leave Thailand. The people here are extremely friendly and really funny. As a country Thailand seems well developed and offers a variety of sights and activities for any traveller. There is a big contrast between the north and south with Bangkok being the crazy epicentre of it all.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 0.124s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0981s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb