Stirred but not shaken


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » South-West Thailand » Krabi
April 28th 2007
Published: April 28th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Our final blog from an awesome time in Thailand 😞
Well, after fate had stepped in and we found ourselves in Krabi instead of Phuket, we actually found that the Adaman coast of Thailand is pretty special. Krabi town itself has loads of excellent (and fairly cheap) bars and three great night markets for yet more superb food, but the main draw is the surrounding coast line, with its steepling rock formations draped in thick forests.
We spent the first day getting the lie of the land and checking out the local shops before heading out on the so called James Bond tour. For those that haven't seen the pics on flickr Krabi is very close to the island that the man with the golden gun was filmed on. For some reason this has been dubbed James Bond island rather than Scaramanga's island but never mind. The tour itself comprises of a boat ride through the mangrove swamps and over to the island via a floating Muslim fishing village (yes why on earth would you want to fish for Muslims?) and finally a trip to a monkey / reclining buddha cave temple and a water fall in one of the many national parks in the area. It was at the latter that we found an apparently very poisonous snake by the side of the path. The fact that our guide went white and started searching for stones to throw at it didn't fill us with confidence in his abilities to deal with it but luckily it decided to slither away into the under growth.
The following day we hired a (very old) 4x4 and went to another water fall (with emerald fresh water pool) and thermal spring (the water got up to 40 odd degrees). On the way back we had a little red goose chase to find the beach (which took about three hours and wasn't worth it when we got there but did show some of the lasting damage present on this coast after the sunami) before getting ready for our early start the next morning into Malaysia.
Coming next time, Penang in Malaysia (including a stint in unadulterated luxury).

Take care everybody and we'll update you all soon.

Bri and Linz

Advertisement



Tot: 0.129s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 11; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0613s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb