A Quiet Little Island Retreat!


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » South-West Thailand » Ko Yao
January 31st 2009
Published: March 9th 2009
Edit Blog Post

After Phi Phi and Phuket, we decided we needed a rest, without the temptations of parties and late nights, so we headed to a small Muslim island in the South West called Koh Yao Noi.

We travelled there from Phuket by bus and ferry. It was pretty rural, as soon as we got to the ferry port we realised the culture was different. The bus we were on carried many supplies for the island which, alongside two mopeds, and us, were tipped onto the "ferry." The ferry was actually just a larger longtail boat and was most definitely not water tight.

The crossing took a lot longer than planned, but the islands in the area were so pretty because they were so remote. We spotted many fishermen going about their business, which was a nice change from seeing the throngs of tourists speeding about in Phi Phi.

The first night we stayed in some bungalows recommended by the Lonely Planet...not only were they more expensive than documented, they were loud, unfriendly and didn't even give us a lock for the door.

First thing in the morning we moved on and started a hate campaign against SABAI CORNER! The most unfriendly people we have met in Thailand!

We soon found a nicer and cheaper alternative to stinky sabai, so we moved to Koh Yao Beach...a family run bungalow chain by the beach!

From there we rented A MOPED (note the one moped) and explored the beaches and rubber plantations the island had to offer. We stayed for four nights on the island, got lots of sleep and ate lots of thai food. Laura sampled a delightful Thai beef salad, which was not as innocent as it sounded....it made her cry and gave rise to the necessity to drink 4 bottles of water! ouch! Lesson Learnt. The Thai family, however, found it hilarious....FALANG TING TONG!

Well Rested we decided to move on...so we headed to the travel hub of Krabi....



Additional photos below
Photos: 50, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.094s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 12; qc: 56; dbt: 0.0549s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.2mb