Christmas and the Germans


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » South-West Thailand » Ko Phi Phi Don
February 6th 2008
Published: February 7th 2008
Edit Blog Post

After our near-fatal bus crash we caught a ferry to Ko Phi Phi which turned out to be a great little island, if a bit over-populated with Germans. We did lots of beach in the day and lots of drinking in the evenings and I saw my first bit of Thai boxing which was pretty brutal. We hired a kayak one day to visit the beaches that can't be walked to. The first one was Monkey Beach where people fed grapes to the wild monkeys. The second bay looked a lot closer than it was and we were pretty knackered when we got there. It was gorgeous though and we had it all to ourselves until a German with his kayak invaded our beach and proceeded to piss on the sand!

On our last day we got a longtail boat to Ko Phi Phi Ley which is uninhabited and we went to the beach where "The Beach" was filmed. We also snorkelled in the coral reefs of the bay and saw masses of brightly-coloured fish that swam really close to you.

Next we visited another apparant German colony called Phuket which turned out to be OK, but a bit over-hyped and overpriced.

Christmas was spent in true festive style on the tiny island of Ko Phayam which doesn't have any cars or roads. We spent our days here kayaking, sunbathing and bodyboarding before drinking beer whilst watching the sunset. Because the island is so undeveloped we had plenty of encounters with nature. I ejected two reasonable-sized spiders from our beach hut and Louise saw two massive, hairy, tarantula-esque ones just outside our hut. Our open-air bathroom also had a resident toad that we named Trevor. I showered and went to the toilet whilst Trev was half a metre away eating ants off the wall!

We had decorated our beach hut with tinsel and a 12-inch tall Christmas tree that we placed our really expensive gifts under. Louise thought that I had forgotten to buy wrapping paper for her presents but I actually thought that they looked better wrapped in glossy pictures from my Economist magazine. My presents included a bucket and spade, some tweezers, and some facewash whilst Louise's included insect repellent, a headband, and some Tabasco Sauce.

Christmas day was spent doing our usual beach activities but I also made a spanking sandcastle complete with
"The Beach""The Beach""The Beach"

I tried my hardest to find Leo but i had to make do with the fact I had swam in the same water as him!
moat. Once I had finished a German family came up to have a look at it and gave it their Vorsprung-durch-Technik approval! Das ist gut! As Christmas day roast wasn't on the menu we had king prawns instead that had been caught that afternoon. It was certainly a different Christmas and it made us miss everyone back home.

Hope you all had a lovely Christmas and New Year. I'm sure the HSBC crew will have enjoyed (I think thats the right word) the January Sale!

Looking forward to seeing you all again soon.

Much Love, Paul and Louise x x x


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement

Our little ChristmasOur little Christmas
Our little Christmas

Paul was very proud of his strategically placed wrapping paper!
AHHHHHH!!!AHHHHHH!!!
AHHHHHH!!!

I'd just seen the huuuge hairy spider outside our room and the electricity was about to go off so i had to be prepared with my head torch!
Big kid in the sandBig kid in the sand
Big kid in the sand

Everyone who walked past him laughed at him!


13th February 2008

Glad you keep us up to date finally!!! Can't say the weather here is the same! and the january sale was so much fun heggars, you missed a treat! ha! x

Tot: 0.125s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 7; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0984s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb