Ko Phi Phi & Koh Lanta


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » South-West Thailand » Ko Phi Phi Don
October 31st 2007
Published: October 31st 2007
Edit Blog Post

Whilst we were in China and having recommendations from people on the tour, we settled on heading to Ko Phi Phi first to find a beach there to chill out on. We found a really good cheap hotel right on the beach with great views from our window overlooking the bay and blue sea. Our days consisted of relaxing either by the pool or on the beach. Unfortunately we have arrived at the end of the rainy season, so every so often it would rain. Even when it didn't rain the sky's were cloudy, which actually with our pale skins was a blessing 'cause as soon as the sun did make a brief appearance it was sizzling hot.

It was hard not to think of the tsunami, as it had such as devastating effect on Ko Phi Phi, and while a lot of the resort was back up and running, there was still some building work going on in places. There is a small, but fitting, memorial garden at the end of the beach that is well kept to remember the victims. It was clear relatives still visit as there were fresh flowers and new pictures laid there.

Whilst in Ko Phi Phi we decided to take a day trip around the island by boat, this included visiting the nearby Island of Ko Phi Phi Lei...the setting for The Beach movie. The boat moored just off the beach and we then went by sea kayak to the shore....a great way of arriving on any beach. The water was so warm and crystal clear but the major problem was because of the film soooo many people visit the beach so we didn't stay long. From there we went to another beach on Bamboo Island, now this was amazing...the water was blue and the sand was white and the water was so warm it was like getting into a hot bath. Shame we couldn't stay here for the duration as there are no hotels on the island.

The town where we were staying in Ko Phi Phi was quite busy and full of tourists and although the beach was nice we thought we'd move on after a couple of days to another island, Koh Lanta, about 1 hour boat ride from Ko Phi Phi. Its a lot quieter than at Ko Phi Phi and after a day the sun finally arrived.

Hope we haven't made you too jealous, we are honestly thinking of you all working away whilst we are relaxing by the pool/beach. We are moving on again tomorrow to go to Phuket to see what the beaches are like there before flying to Hanoi for our journey round Vietnam and Cambodia.

Again, we are still having trouble uploading photo's so we will add some more as soon as we can.


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

Maya Bay aka The BeachMaya Bay aka The Beach
Maya Bay aka The Beach

All the boats and people...just like the movie!!!
Bamboo IslandBamboo Island
Bamboo Island

How Maya Bay should have looked (and maybe did before the film)


Tot: 0.199s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 12; qc: 28; dbt: 0.1127s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb