Koh Phangan


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » South-West Thailand » Ko Pha-Ngan
October 5th 2012
Published: October 5th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Yo! After half a days travel including two buses and one boat we finally arrived in Koh Phangan, two days ahead of schedule. We got a taxi to our hostel, The Dancing Elephant, where we met back up with Ollie the lad from leeds, and met our hostel owner, David (Crazy french guy will get to more of this later). He sat us down with the other new arrivals; Luke & Ellie a couple from Birmingham, Jess from Peterborough and Madras/Madris some dude from Singapore, along with Ollie and ourselves for a quick debrief about the do's & don'ts of the island plus many pointers, as our hostel gets discount at a few places; food/drink.
Crazy Small World again, we bumped into Sam Morgan who was staying at the same hostel as us with a few of our friends, absolute chap! Had us in stiches of his stories on shrooms.
By the time we settled into our 19 bed dorm, the first of our travels, we all rushed downstairs as time was getting in so everyone got in the first bucket, after about 15 mins we could tell we had met some very like minded people, in terms of raving & getting on it. We all decided to go to the pool party being held in Coral bunglows that night, after boozing for a few hours and the UV paint being brought out we jumped on a taxi and headed there, Jess decided to buy everyone Sambuca shots, which were measured at roughly 100ml/120ml (normal measures at home are 35ml) leading me (Dani) to me sick in my mouth whilst scouting the place for somewhere to spit it out, at this moment I looked over to Pat who was also on bordering being sick and had to "take a moment". Anyway we continued with our night, shit got messy as expected and we strolled home VERY drunk.
After the first night of everyone being together, we all started to relax a bit more around each other, telling stories (Joni on the MXE in Bournemouth and other funny shit). We decided to start the day by heading to the beach and coming up with a plan for our 2nd night, we had been told by our hostel owner to head to a bar called Reggae Magic if we wanted a smoke etc. So that night we headed over there with the group, plus 3 other lads who were Luke & Ellies friends from home, sounds chaps. Once we got there we had about 5 Spliffs, then we decided to try out the Mushroom Shakes............
WOW, this shit blew my mind, I was the first to feel it and was in non-stop hysterics, standing up was like being on K but your mindset was just euphoric everyone was so happy and talking shit, the place had loads of life quotes which in that mindset just made everyone want to travel more. But seriously, the experience was unreal and I would recommend doing it in moderation. Pat & I also thought we were on a boat, and that my glasses made shit 3D, fantastic.
Th enext day we decided to head back to the reggae bar for a smoke, finding out that because we were staying at the Dancing Elephant we got discount at the reggae bar....YES discount on weed & booze, you can't make this shit up. Tell Dave Pat & I want loyalty cards and discount. After speaking to a few people we were advised to go to the Jungle Party that night, so we started at our hostel which held a street party, also meeting up with 2 lads, Joe & Luke who we met in Phi Phi, after a few buckets we got a taxi to the party which was blaring out Minimal Tech all night, everyone was in a party mood, bare feet raving away, even when the rain came for an hour we carried on with less close and muddy feet. We headed back at a reasonable time of half 3, as Full Moon Party was the next day and Jess was absolutely paraletic.
The Day of The Full Moon Party had arrived, and there was a buzz on the island, you could tell that it was going to go off just by the sheer number of people arrivng on the island, it was said that there would be roughly 5-10 thousand people on one beach. Again our hostel held a street party, however we all started on beers and we had been warned not to peak to early as one of the best bits of Full Moon is seeing the Sunrise one side and turning around to see the full moon behind you! We headed down to the beach around half 12, heading straight to the Drum & Bass Bar which was going off, a geordie lad from our hostel was even getting involved on the mic, proper naughty shit. The beach is hard to explain but there are loads of different bars, not small ones though, that offer something different in terms of music genres & drink promotions, we pinballed up and down the beach for a fair few hours enjoying some Trance, House & DnB, before we knew it it was getting light and everyone was huddled on the beach near the water watching this breathtaking sunrise, Pat and Luke headed out for a swim to a fishermans boat to catch a better view, and the rest of us were still drinking. A few people wanted to head back so we started walking back along the beach only to stumble across a bar busting out old house classics, so we didn't end up getting back till 8am, where I decided that I wanted to carry on drinking over a film, Pat, Jess and one of the other boys joined, only for Pat and the lad to fall asleep, so I went back to the reggae bar for a smoke with Jess, who ended up pulling whitey bad!!! Meaning we would have to head back to the hostel.
Finally we had planned to leave Koh Phangan for Koh Tao to learn how to dive, only to find that all ferries for two days were fully booked, therefore we had to stay on the island another two days....not all bad I suppose, we catched some rays, ate a lot and smoked A LOT as it was pretty much a ghost town after everyone left Full Moon.
We managed to get a ferry on Thursday over to Koh Tao which the group, however most of them decided against diving and are staying in the backpackers bay of the island, whilst Ollie arrived earlier than us to start his diving because he has less time in Thailand than us. Pat & I have enrolled in the Buddha View Diving School, we are staying for four days to obtain our PADI open water licenses, and begin diving in a couple of hours in the swimming pool. We will try to update as much as we can, and definitely will get on skype over the weekend.
Peace.

Advertisement



5th October 2012

Love!
I love this entry so much! Shrooms for everyone when you get home ;) I thought I was laying in a hammock when I did them! Enjoy your diving! xx
5th October 2012

Sounds great
Just using your blog for some tips for my own trip to Kh Pha-ngan. Arrivng for the half moon party in baan tai. sounds like a class place alright. do you know if the ferries are booked up regularly for Ko Tao? Cheers
12th October 2012

Hello
Book your Koh Tao ferry as soon as you know how long you will be in Koh Phangan for as the island gets deserted after Full Moon.

Tot: 0.062s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0385s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb