Starting the New Year in Koh Pha Ngan


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » South-West Thailand » Ko Pha-Ngan
January 1st 2011
Published: July 22nd 2011
Edit Blog Post

Getting to our first Thai destination was an epic journey - a good way to start off traveling after 10 days of slacking on Mom's couch. San Francisco to Hong Kong. layover. Hong Kong to Bangkok. Immigration. Bangkok for 12 hours with no hotel or place to shake off the jetlag. Scarf down Subway sandwich on Khao San Road. Nine hour overnight bus ride to Chumporn. Four hour ferry ride from Chumporn to Koh Tao, and Koh Tao to Koh Phangan. Ride on the back of a pick up truck to beach resort. Room isnt ready for 3 hours. Sit and get really really hot. The whole thing took 48 hours from Alamo to hotel room with no shower, no bed, and like 7 airplane/bus/boat meals. This is whats all about, right?

When we arrived on Koh Pha Ngan, our first tropical destination, it was rainy. and cloudy. and grotesquely humid. But, its hard to complain about things like that when you are still surrounded by an extremely lush Thai island. Our hotel was just a short walk from Thongsala on the southwestern side of the island. Walking to Thongsala led us past coconut fields, bridges, local shops and businesses. The town itself was a tourist port town, but walking around the edges of town gave us a chance to see a little bit a local Thailand before riding into Haad Rin to experience one of the premiere events of the international traveling party scene - a full moon party. The New Years party isnt *actually* a real full moon party since the moon is not always full on new years eve, but it is the biggest party Haad Rin throws all year, so its still full of plenty of crazy even if the stars are not aligned properly.

Normally for new years, we go to see one of a few bands, and its generally a sure fire way to have a good time. Since we wouldnt be able to go to see a show this year, the only place we could think of that could have an event that might live up to our expectations of non-band centric new years party was Haad Rin. Now we've been to a fair share of Phish shows, Phish festivals, other assorted music camping events....it would take a lot to shock us as far as what people do at a crazy party. The new years full moon party did not shock us, but it was good to see how non US people do a party.



more to come....


Additional photos below
Photos: 17, Displayed: 17


Advertisement



Tot: 0.041s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0211s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb