Friends Reunited - Koh Phangan & Bangkok


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » South-West Thailand » Ko Pha-Ngan
January 4th 2010
Published: January 6th 2010
Edit Blog Post

This content requires Flash
To view this content, JavaScript must be enabled, and you need the latest version of the Adobe Flash Player.
Download the free Flash Player now!
 Video Playlist:

1: Midnight NYE 31 secs
We were sad to leave lovely Koh Tao but were excited to get the ferry to Koh Pha Ngan to meet our friends, Chris and Zoe, who'd flown out to celebrate New Years with us! We had treated ourselves to a nice resort rather than the usual beach bungalow (a.k.a. shed with a bed!) in the north of the island in Chaloklum Bay, which Zoe had booked months before on the internet! The ferry was busy and the pier at KPN was heaving with taxi touts.......everyone was coming to KPN for NYE!

We were thrilled to see our friends. They'd kindly bought Christmas gifts from family back home AND some Marmite and Vanish stain remover. Essentials. Zoe had had to visit KPN hospital because some mosquito bites had got infected and her ankles had swollen so we took it easy that day. We spent the remaining days of 2009 exploring the island on scooters, snorkling on the nice beach and cuddling puppies at Haad Salad, climbing Khao Raa the highest point on the island (a grueling 5km jungle hike) and generally having a jolly nice time.

One of the main reasons for coming here was to go to the
KPNKPNKPN

New Years Eve dinner
NYE Full Moon Party at Haad Rin beach, which is exactly what we did along with pretty much the whole island. The beach was lined with fire signs, loud sound systems, lights and bucket bars. The area was packed with happy people, but not too busy for it to be uncomfortable or annoying. We drank some vodka redbull buckets, painted ourselves with UV body paint, chatted to loads of fellow travellers, had a dance and watched the amazing fireworks at midnight. We all had such a good time and started the New Year in unforgettable style. Our hangovers weren't even that bad the next day (makes a change for New Years Day!) and we spent a lazy day at the local beach and playing frisbee. That night we went to Tonsala (in the back of a truck) and had Thai massages and went in search of a bar called The Masons Arms (Zoe's surname s Mason so we just had to). It was a proper English country pub and we relaxed in the beer garden listening to live music and we all ate handsome plates of good old British grub! The best hangover cure ever.

We said a sad
KPNKPNKPN

Haad Rin
goodbye to Chris and Zoe and went back to Bangkok via uncomfortable and long winded Thai transportation. We stayed near Khao San Road again (Sawadee House) despite this aeaa being very busy. We went to Sukhumvit on the metro and skytrain to find an outdoor skate park for Dee. We bumped into Ben and Dino & Miguel (who we'd hung out with in Goa) plus their friends Reto and Anya. It was great to be reunited with those guys again and we went out that night to celebrate. We had a few cocktails, a few too many buckets, we went to Patpong red light district to see a ping pong show (the things you do when you're drunk, eh!), we squeezed 7 of us in a taxi (safety first) and danced the night away in a Khao San club. Good times. We also got chatting to an English couple in a cafe the next day who turned out to be from Northampton........small world!

We spent our last day in BKK nursing hangovers and stocking up on Imodium for our next adventure in Cambodia.........




Additional photos below
Photos: 78, Displayed: 24


Advertisement

KPNKPN
KPN

Full Moon
KPNKPN
KPN

Preparations for the Full Moon Party on Haad Rin beach
KPNKPN
KPN

Haad Rin beach
KPNKPN
KPN

Full Moon 31/12/2009
KPNKPN
KPN

Haad Rin
KPNKPN
KPN

Piles of fireworks
KPNKPN
KPN

Piles of booze
KPNKPN
KPN

Full Moon Party
KPNKPN
KPN

Top of Khao Raa Hill


6th January 2010

Jealous
How jealous am I as I sitting in my freezing cold house looking out at my snow covered garden. A day at home with kids for me because school transport has been cancelled. You don't need a sherpa to carry your bags do you? It looks like you are having a great time. Happy new year to you both. Can't wait to see you when you finally return to hear all your stories. lots of luv deb and Jamie xxx
6th January 2010

NYE
Happy New Year! Looks like you had an amazing NYE party! London was cold and we even had a bit of snow after the fireworks... Take Care, Sandra

Tot: 0.046s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0251s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb