Full Moon + Faulty Towers


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » South-West Thailand » Ko Pha-Ngan
July 18th 2009
Published: July 18th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Going to the full moon party was probably the highlight for us so far. It was like going to ten of the coolest clubs on the same night combined with the atmosphere of pride!! There were 10 different sound stages with music from R&B Rubbish - Hard House/ Electro House/ Psy Trance and everything in between.

Everyone gets UV painted hence our funny faces and makes friends with lots of buckets of joy the whole night we spoke to people from all around the world including Oxford Princesses who practically hated every moment to dread-lock hippie types. We partied until the sun came up and then.... we went to get breakfast we tried to have toasties they were the sickest thing... some kind of fatty ham with melted congealed cheese yum yum!

We met a guy from Brighton who owned a guest house in Phuket which was to be our next station stop. This was fortunate as it saved us looking and was fairly cheap. In the meantime of Lauren speaking to him I got trampled on by a drunk falling on top of me which didnt hurt to much. Whilst at the party we felt a bit peckish at about 3am so decided to sample some of the thai delecacies on site. I had a doughnut to start followed by a spring roll with some kind of spicy sauce poured all over it within a plastic bag. Lauren had an uncooked corn on the cob that looked delicious

Our hotel in Pha ngan had a lot to be desired for, pre booked at Sta Travel we were looking forward to a bit of semi Luxury. We got there after a short catamaran ride over from Samui and transferred in a shared roller coaster minibus with a load of gap yearers over mountainous terrain. We checked in and were given a twin room with a broom cupboard of a bathroom, the room was a brown colour with a shower nozzle and a toilet - we swiftly asked to be moved to what we had booked originally.
They moved us to a different building and into what seemed a nicer room with a proper bathroom and a 4 poster bed. The hotel had a lively pool scene bangin out psy trance from 11am and hoards of Aussies commandeering the pool/jacuzzi

Haad Rin Sunrise beach is the 'town' that holds the party, the town was made up of about 3 streets containing internet cafes, travel shops and various restaurants. We were based in the quiet side of it on the Sunset beach about a 10 minute death trap walk down a slippery muddy dirt track of a road.

Back to the hotel about 2 days in the room a vile sewage smell crept in and we complained to no avail. 2 days later when the smell became unbearable we complained and asked to be moved into a clean room. What a mistake-a to make-a! Initial appearances of the beach front bungalow were nice, how deceptive. As soon we got there Lauren saw her favourite small black insect in the bathroom crawling around on the ceiling which I squished and then I came running to screaches of terror when a multi-coloured beetle attacked her and her bag. We went out forgot all about it and just presumed it was bad luck for asking to be moved from a nice-ish room. That night we were sleeping and put the main light on to go to the bathroom and saw a dinosaur sized Gekko leaping about this didnt worry us to much until it went into the depths of shadows and the 30 cm sized flying cockroach decided to make friends with us. We ran to reception at 2AM with bed hair and our 2 stone rucksacks attached to us demanding to be moved immedidately. After much to-ing and fro-ing with the non english receptionist with hand gestures and animal impressions he moved us to a 'sea view' ant infested room.

Luckily we only had 1 more night and could put up with it the next morning we ran out of the hotel and got a cab to the pier, we were dropped off at the closed ticket office and waited in the searing heat for an hour before we could 'check in'. We then schlapped about a mile with our bags to the landing area and waited. We got on the boat and it felt very choppy before it had even left. Lauren looked green and we set sail. The journey was weird with some cooking programme screening and the crazy frog came on much to our delight. The engine kept cutting out and we both felt more sick with the smell of curry floating around from someone eating their dinner and the waves crashing against the side of the boat. Lauren vommed into a plastic bag which I sent down to be binned and a Thai man gave some tissues and vicks like substance to put on her wrist in order to calm her nausea. Eventually we arrived back in Samui and went to our guest house before our flight to Phuket the following day.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.09s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 10; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0422s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb