peace and quiet in Ko Pha-Ngan


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » South-West Thailand » Ko Pha-Ngan
September 13th 2008
Published: September 13th 2008
Edit Blog Post

111

Waiting for the night ferry to take us over. I forgot to say that there was one of the anti-governement rallies going on just in front of us here. Dave wanted to get all close to the action, while I was happy to stay a bit away.
Dave and I got an 11 pm night ferry over to this island.
There was almost no where for us to fit on the baot...but we found space eventually.
The boat was not rough and we slept almost the entire time.
A man approached us on the boat and asked us if we had anywhere to stay once we arrived and if course we didnt as we are taking everything day by day. He had photos of his bungalow and it looked nice so we handed over 400 baht and he said his driver will be at the ferry at 530 am wher we arrive and take us to the bungalow.
We were hoping that this was not a scam and we actually had a place to stay. There was nothing we could do so put our ear plugs in and fell asleep.
We woke up and were about to dock at the pier. When we got off the ferry there was a guy holding a sign that was the name of the bungalow that we booked but we were hald asleep and were thinking that the guy who sold us the tickets would pick us up. So as this guy
333

a snapshot from our bungalow deck
was harassing us, we kept ignoring him or asking him to go away...and all the while he was the taxi driver that was taking us to the bungalow.
I still feel bad about being kinda rude to him!! We offered him a tip when he walked us to the door of our place but he gracefully refused...and we went right to sleep again.
We woke up and realized that we were staying right on the beach, it was quiet and we were 2 of about 6 people staying in the entire place.
It was very relaxing and on the deck there were 2 hammock that we took full advantage of.
The first 2 days we just walked on the beach, swam, eat about 100 feet from our room and read in the hammock.
Then we decided to rent a motorbike from the place we were staying and explore the tiny island we were on.
This island is famous for something called the Full Moon Party which is held on one of the beaches the was about 15 min drive from us.
While we were there they did have the Half Moom Party...but we decided to stay away from that and
222

on the beach again
just enjoy our quiet beach.
So the motorbike and exploring was going well until we were about to turn around so we could go to an internet shop.
As Dave was about to turn around...another bike with 2 Thai guys on it slammed into the side of us.
They were rolling around on the ground one was holding his foot and the other was holding his ribs.
Dave was walking around fine and I actually felt fine just a scrape on my leg.
But seeing the Thai guys rolling around and all these bystanders and shop owners came out of their stores...I decided to start acting like my leg hurt.
I was holing my knee and grimacing in pain and put on my best actress face.
They said they were going to call the police and we said ok fine go ahead we will stay here...after about 20 min waiting on the side of the road the 2 Thai guys got up and left.
So I am not sure if the cops were ever going to come and they were probably thinking we would just offer up money for hurting them.
Hell no I though, I was prepared to wait
555

our bungalow was the second one from the left
there all day.
So it turned out being ok, and as we left we stopped in a nice looking English pub and had a pint of beer to calm us down!
We could laugh about the entire situation at that time, but I was a little nervous for a while and was figuring that we would have to hand over a few thousand baht to them.
We were planning on leaving after 3 nights, but when we woke up on the 4th day and realized how much we liked the privacy and peacefulness of this island we decided to keep the bike and stay for another day.
We had a fabulous time here and got a lot of reading done which is a good thing becuase we both brought too many books with us and havent had the time to read at all.


Additional photos below
Photos: 27, Displayed: 24


Advertisement

44
4

he can fall asleep anywhere.
66
6

our motorbike. this piece of crap could barely make it up the hills on the island. I am sure it had nothing to do with the amount of weight on it...
77
7

I forgot to mention another thing, the bike ran out of gas/petrol too. We had to push it up a hill and jumped on as it glided down the hill and thank the lord right at the bottom of the hill was a barrell full on red/pinkish gas!
88
8

a long tail boat in the water.
99
9

a pit stop at one of the beaches.
1010
10

stopping to take a pic at the top of the hill. Dave is wearing another new tshirt her bought...for about 2 euro. Instead of washing clothes he buys new ones!!
1111
11

the water
1313
13

reading at night
1212
12

one of the gecko's that joined us every night
1414
14

our beach. the was a bit rocky as you entered and low tide a lot...other than that it was great
1515
15

self timer. This is one of the resorts up the road. We stopped in to check it out, but we decided our budget bungalow was better
2020
20

the restaurant in our bungalow.
1919
19

a stray dog sleeping on the beach.
2121
21

this is walking to another island Ko Ma. when the tide comes in you cannot walk over to it.


Tot: 0.286s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 10; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0701s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb