another week in the life of......(another phone stolen)


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » South-West Thailand » Ko Pha-Ngan
January 20th 2008
Published: February 6th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Kind of lost track of this week a bit! we've been hanging out with the girls from the clinic, we have new volunteers: Rachel - vet nurse, Sarah - vet, Emma - vet nurse, Crystal - my replacement and Sally will be starting tomorrow to replace Sheena. They are all really fab girls and we've enjoyed spending time with them. We spent an evening at Jumungy but cant remember which, and most notably we had a brilliant night out in Haad Rin on Friday (18th). Those of you who know me well will not be too surprised to learn that someone nicked my phone again! I refuse to buy another for some fecker to rob. Apart from that it was a brilliant night, Av (& her parents), Sheen, Jack, Rachel, Emma, Sarah, Crystal and me all ate at Om Ganesh, a great Indian restaurant in Haad Rin, before a spot of shopping, me and Crystal bought a silver ring each and I got some new frip frops (they can't pronounce their "l's"!). Then later, Av's parents went home and we all met up again on the beach by Drop In Bar, I had purchased myself a bucket of sang som and was sipping daintily when Rachel suggested shots, this was very enjoyable at the time but of course ended up very messy, and somehow some arse nicked my phone out of my bag.

oops, just got back to this!

I havent blogged for ages and have forgotten what i did mostly and when, but have a couple of notes in my diary - so on 20th Jan, i climbed kho Raa again, (627 metres, highest point on island) with joel. I would put some pics on but i put my memory card in the wrong slot in a computer and it fell inside and i couldnt get it out. arf.

so there are lots of pics on my facebook from the girls if anyone cares to look at them. General nights out of debauchery.

21st jan - christel got a bike - she had a go on mine and was fine - i'd been taking her or sarah on the back to get around on the island, but now christel has hired her own bike and is loving it. The 3 of us went to Paeng waterfall and had a quick hike, then we drove on to Malibu beach for lunch, then off to Haad Yao - my fave beach apart from coco, and then we rode home along the coast road at sunset - stunning. We all went out for dinner in the evening.

22nd - FULL MOON PARTY - YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!!!

My favourite day of the month - full moon party - i bloody love it! The villa were playing and i watched most of the match then got dragged off by the girls in a taxi - but the match was playing in haad rin too - we went to drop in bar and i watched the end of it (2 all liverpool) but then we lost each other a bit. we went up as a big group, sarah, rachel, me, sheena & jack, christel, emma and sally. then it ended up me,sheen and sally - sally had her first bucket of sangsom and drank it far too quickly and got completely wan*ered - we had a wee in the sea together but then she fell in it and tried to hug me! GAH! i ran off and then there was me! there are like thousands of people on the beach, so without a phone its pretty impossible to find your mates again! no bother tho - i met loads of people - i found some nirvana playing at fairlyland by the reggae bar, my usual haunt, and talked to some people, then found myself in a jacuzzi in one of the bungalows with a bunch of people, then one of the lads started to get a bit fresh so i did a runner. i had borrowed his t shirt to get in the water as didnt want to wet my new frock and i ran off in it! was his own fault - silly arse. so anyway - then i met some australians and spent the rest of the night/morning with them. spent most of my time with matt and we had a laugh, and then he came back to thong sala at around 8am i think, and we went to the english pub and played pool and drank some english draft beer!

24th - surgery day at work. Busy day at work - last week at PAC - dont want to leave the clinic!

Went to Jumunjy in the evening with Rachel, Christel, Sarah, Sheena and Jack. Met up
Sheena and Sarah Sheena and Sarah Sheena and Sarah

our volunteer Canadian vet (for 2 weeks only)
with Sonny - a musician we met through the clinic, unfortunately he lost 2 dogs to parvo, a real shame. He's a really nice bloke, we had a bit of a mad night and were up til 6am - we spend a lot of time at Jumunjy and really like the owners - T and Drew (English brothers), T's wife Bim and they have a cute little daughter. Yun is our fave waiter and we really like going there, they stay open til we leave generally and we are usually the last in if we are there!

25th - Friday, 8.30 start - bit of a bummer after being up til 6 drinking beer! last day at PAC. Sigh.

was a really busy day, and very tired but Av gave me a fab certificate detailing the work i have done and dates so that's great! and a lovely buddha and beautiful big scarf that is big enough to be a skirt or wall hanging! im sending it home as its so lovely i dont want to use it as a skirt or sarong! Felt really sad to finish work but was so busy that didnt have time to dwell on it! i have been back a fair bit anyway and sheen and i are going to help on some fund raising in haad rin. Sheena has a possible 6 month placement there doing Av's job, (manager) as Av wants some time off to do other things - we are waiting for the owner to come out on 14th Feb to discuss, and i have some ideas too but wont mention them here as it may come to nothing.

Anyway, met Sonny for dinner at Cafe 1 in See Thanu. Those of you that know egyptian john from Swindon will be delighted to hear that he has this restaurant which is fab and a eucalyptus plantation, a wife and 2 daughters!!!! it was good to see him again and he is looking really well. i will get some more pics and put on later, must go back before i leave.

Sat 26th

Biked to Chaloklum with Christel and Rachel & Emma. Me and Christel drove - it poured down with rain and we all got soaked! its a mini monsoon at the moment! it only lasts a couple of weeks and is still hot but there are these downpours! we were gonna climb kho raa but ended up just going to shisha bar in chaloklum instead. Then we went to a temple festival in thong sala in the evening ,there were stalls and stuff and lots of thais, gets very very busy. Jumunjy in the evening! Sheen spending a lot of time with Jack at the min.

Sun 27th

Nira's birthday party - Nira has 2 restaurants in Baan Tai and Haad Rin, she is the chairwoman of PAC and has a staff party which she invites PAC to every year. it was very nice, with food, and cake and cheesecake and a secret santa type thing. we got really good presents and wrapped them and then got crap ones back haha. i kipped over at sarahs at chokana resort.

Monday 28th

Went to haad rin with rachel, christel and sarah, we shopped til we dropped and had a great day. We came back and went to Vantanas for dinner, i kipped over at sarahs again.

29th Tues

Sarah Rachel christel and me went to Haad Tien on the east of the island to visit the Sanctuary, a health resort which does all yoga type stuff and colonic irrigation! they have a health food restaurant that does really nice grub - and is very hard to get to, you usually have to go by boat but the sea is a bit rough at the mo and the boats arent running so we booked a 4 wheel truck to take us. we got to haad rin early and left from there. the road was bloody scary - very very very steep and hairy! we shat ourselves! christel has some great pics and video of it! (on facebook!)

anyway, we went back in a boat as it was not too bad in the afternoon altho the buggers ripped us off on the price and charged more than they said they would. same same.

Anyway, we got back for the 5 o'clock ferry - sarah and i were off to bangkok. Sarah is spending 3nights in bangkok before returning home to toronto, and i had to visit the spanish embassy to sign some papers, so we travelled together and spent 3 nights in bangkok. We took the 3 hour ferry at 5 from thong sala, and then the bus to surrathani train station, and the 7.30 overnight train to hualamphong station in bangkok. we took a taxi to a guest house near MBK centre, by Siam, it was called A1 and was a bit of a hole! the room smelled really bad and was very tatty and manky. we put a bottle of water on the bedside table and it collapsed! then a shelf fell off the dressing table, was pretty funny really. we spent one night there then moved to another place. The first night we shopped in MBK, its a huge shopping mall, there are 4 huge shopping malls in the area, the others being Siam Discovery, Siam something else and Siam something else. You would need a month to cover it all! We ate at pizza hut in MBK, played guitar hero then had a fairly early night as sarah had a sore throat and wasnt well.

weds 30th - moved to another guest house, we had egg and bacon bagels and muffins for breakfast at au bon pain in Siam Discovery! then went to toni & guys for haircuts! eeek - chopped all me hair off. weird! we spent the evening walking around the street markets and buying more bloody clothes.

thurs 31st - i took myself off to the spanish embassy, got ripped off by a taxi who charged me double what i should have paid, then i found the embassy on 23rd floor of a huge office block, to be told that i couldnt sign as the papers were not correctly worded. GAH!!!! i have to go back to bangkok again once they have re-drafted the paperwork and sent me an appointment through. i got the bus back for 7 baaht! met up with sarah and we went to meet Sooshat (or shitzu as i called him) who was a thai guy who rented the basement from sarah's dad for 6 years while studying in canada! he was a lovely bloke - really nice man, he is working at the university lecturing on environmental stuff and has to work for 10 years for crap pay to pay for his study that they sponsored in canada. he took us for lunch at Siam centre which was really nice, then we met his friend and we all got a taxi to the night bazaar. It was fab, and had a puppet theatre, i didnt go
View from Kho RaView from Kho RaView from Kho Ra

highest point on island 627 metres, we did it in 1 hour 30 mins!
in as it was 900 baat for the show - a tad expensive for me, altho thai's only get charged 400. as a foreigner you always have to pay over double what the thais pay, i cant really get my head round this but its how it is. naffs me off a bit.

we had a great time and shopped at the night bazaar!

fri 1st Feb

met up with a friend of sarahs who owns a big posh hotel, we went to his hotel and we had lunch, he was having a taster as his chef was trying some new dishes, was bloody delicious! we got to try some cocktails too, and had a look at a couple of rooms and apartments, its all brand new and very posh. he had some new york architect over who ate with us, he looked to me like he could do with a bit of sun!

so we had to leave to get to the station for my overnight train back to phangan, and sarah carried on to a hotel near the airport she had booked. she was flying home at 6am the next morning. i was really sad to say goodbye and had a tear in my eye as she drove off in the taxi. such a lovely lady.

just my bloody luck to get on the train and get to my seat only to find an old pissed ozzie guy who was on the bunk above me. (they convert the seats into beds and you draw a curtain around you, its very comfortable and i booked the air con so was nice and civilised!) He was called Chris and kept leering at me while drinking his beer and saying "im on top tonight darlin - how'd ya like that?" he was a gross burger and talked a right load of crap and stank of fags and beer! yuuuk. he went on and on and on for a couple of hours, and i was losing the will to live so asked the train attendant to make the beds up, he had done all the others and left me with the piss head still as seats, bloody typical. so when they had been converted to beds, i got in my bunk and drew the curtain and was getting changed to sleep when the cheeky sod drew back
massive pool table at Chokanamassive pool table at Chokanamassive pool table at Chokana

it even looks big for a snooker table and it took us about 2 hours to finish a game ha ha
my curtain and poked his head in rambling some old crap - i pushed his head out and drew the curtain back. 5 minutes later he did it again so i pushed his stupid farang head back out and told him to sod off - he left me alone then thank the lord and then started sneezing and snorting and making pig like noises - then he started to bloody sing. honestly - i couldnt believe my luck. i put my ear plugs in but could still hear the twat. Eventually i managed to get some kip in, and we arrived at Surrathani around half 8am.

Sunday 3rd feb

arrived back in kho phangan! yaaaay, the ozzie freak was on my bus and ferry too but i managed to avoid him and he went off to samui. altho i saw him drive past the next day on a bike when i was having a sanga in vantana - eeek - kept me head down and if i see him again i will dive in the nearest bush.

my bike was at the pier, and when i pulled up at our house it was great to see rachel and christel outside shouting up at my window to see if was back! so great to see the girls again - they are ace. i had a quick shower and we spent the day mooching around thong sala and rachel had a fantastic tattoo at Den's, Christel is booked in for one too. we went to jumunjy in the evening, it was rachels last night - she was going back home to melbourne the next day - another one leaving us - pants! we had a great night in jumunjy altho jack turned up and was a pain in the butt, he was very drunk (or something) and made a nuisance of himself. He eventually left and we carried on enjoying ourselves. Sally, Sheena and Christel went home and Rachel and i stayed at the bar. Yun got a guitar out and we sang, rachel played some guitar too and we sang and had a really good time. i went back to rachels bungalow at chokana and kipped over, apparently i snored!

Monday 4 Feb

Christel was booked in at 1pm at dens to have a tat on her foot, similar to mine but different! rachel's is stunning,
Om Ganesh restaurantOm Ganesh restaurantOm Ganesh restaurant

we all look so nice before the buckets attack!
a dragon on her back, really brill. i may have one too........we were both gonna have one but hers took so long i will have to go back another day. so anyway, rachels ferry was at 4.30pm, we had some lunch and mooched about and then watched christel having her tattoo done. then i walked rachel to the pier and said goodbye, really gutted to see her leave. we had a brill group together and now its me emma christel, sheena and sally left!

went back to sit with christel til her tat finished, its really cool and she is well pleased with it.

i moved into chokana - rachels old bungalow! and sheena has too as our rental on our house has ended, we also had to take our bikes back! i miss my bike loads, i love riding me bike round the island! emma and christel have moved into our old house, i cleaned it on tues morning and they moved in. nice that they are there! christel has my old bedroom!

5th - went to night market with sally, christel and emma for dinner, we met with james and theresa and had dinner, then we went to tattoo club to pick out some ideas for sally's tattoo! she wants one on her leg - i should get commission from dens! she has some ideas but will get it done in march before she goes home.

sally and i walked home together as we dont have bikes! we made the fatal error of stopping off at Dirty Angel on the way home (a girly bar - ie, prostitute bar), we chatted to one of the bar girls, Em, she was really beautiful and sweet and we had some connect 4 battles! was really funny altho this greasy farang kept coming over and groping her - she pulled a face as she didnt like him and was having more fun with us! eventually she had to go off with him as he paid her bar fine and we were sorry she had to go as we were having a good laugh with her. she was from isaarn, a poor area up north near laos. anyway, they are all the same - pretty girls, mainly from up north, come down to earn money in the bars.

we drank 6 beers and then 2 bloody sang som buckets and played pool, and went to the next bar too. i havent been so blummin wrecked and we ended up very drunk - altho we had a blast and had a really good night! we stumbled home and stumbled along the beach back to our bungalows at god knows wot time this morning, altho it was still dark so that was good! i then spent the next couple of hours throwing up in my loo, then i went to wash my face and threw up in the sink and bloody blocked it! i felt bloody awful - its the first time ive been sick from drink for ages, so im not happy with myself! i get carried away! i have been pants all day, slept in and then lay in hammock and on the beach and then back to bed this afty!!! im feeling better now tho and ready to go for dinner at the night market again!





Additional photos below
Photos: 27, Displayed: 27


Advertisement

Rachel's last night in jumunjyRachel's last night in jumunjy
Rachel's last night in jumunjy

Down the hatch - blow jobs!
Yun playing guitarYun playing guitar
Yun playing guitar

my favourite bar man!


Tot: 0.075s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0465s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb