Full Moon Madness


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » South-West Thailand » Ko Pha-Ngan
February 5th 2007
Published: February 13th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Full Moon FireFull Moon FireFull Moon Fire

A common theme throughout the night is fire. This massive sign was lit, and all down the beach front people danced and spun fire on the end of strings known as poi.
Strange behavoir has a reputation for occuring during the full moon. There is certainly no exception on this small island in the Gulf of Thailand. Every full moon on Koh Phangan backpackers from all corners congregate to participate in the largest party in all of SE Asia, the Full Moon Party.

It's somewhat of a legend among backpackers, the chaos that takes place on a small stretch of beach called Had Rin. Fueled by the infamous "bucket" people let loose and get wild. If you're unsure of what a "bucket" is, let me explain. Take one child's sand bucket, fill with a ridiculous amount of Thai whiskey called Sang Som, one can of coke, ice and a Red Bull and initiate absolute recklessness. Get one of these things in you and your night is sure to be a success (or a disaster, depending on your viewpoint). Get a few of these in you, and chances are you won't remember much of the Full Moon Party and your friends will have embarassing yet humorous tales of your sillyness.

Along the stretch of beach are numerous bars, spilling their patrons onto the sand and blasting loud techno music. Each one in
The Infamous BucketThe Infamous BucketThe Infamous Bucket

This is our good friend Andrew, and the only picture I have of a bucket. There is nothing of me captured on film partaking in these, and I will proclaim my innocence until my death!!
competition with the one next to it for loudest sound system, backpackers groove on the sand, mingle with new friends, and dance barefoot in paradise.

We had a stellar time, to say the least. Knowing that the party is in full swing until well after sunrise, me and Devlin decided to stay sober until nearly 4am. This also allowed us the privilege of watching everyone else with wide eyes. I've never seen so many drunk people in one place before. And after a couple buckets drunk isn't even the proper word to describe it. Thai whiskey in combination with Red Bull (a strong caffiene boost drink, which I suspect they derive pure speed from) takes most people past simple drunkeness.

Thai vendors selling flashing necklaces and glowsticks walk up and down the sand. Men stand at the oceans edge with their backs to the party relieving themselves (women had the unfairness of having to find a toilet and then pay 10-20 baht, extortion I tell you). As the night wore on the amount of people passed out face down in the sand grew larger and larger. Judging by the amount of flip flops littering the area, half of
CasualtiesCasualtiesCasualties

The beach was not only littered with bottles, empty buckets and flip flops. People were also strewn everywhere!
the party went home barefoot.

We hit our prime around 5:30, finding some awesome tunes and rocking out ourselves until the wee hours of the morning. The sunrise was beautiful, and dancing barefoot on a beach surrounded by all my new smiling friends was the highlight of the night.

I think we did justice to the party. We lost one from our group, and found him passed out in Kim and Andrews bed when we returned to the hotel. We were able to laugh about it, Kim and Andrew not so much, seeing as their bed felt like a mini beach with the amount of sand that Bruce tracked in! Me and Dev danced until the music stopped and then raised our fists and yelled for it to keep going. A crowd around us joined in the yelling, but the DJ didn't listen and that signalled the end of our night. We stumbled to the schnitzel restaurant (which is also legendary in Had Rin, known as chicken corner) and munched the best schnitzel we've ever had. After some much needed food we found a taxi and got our tired bodies home.

The Full Moon Party was a
SunriseSunriseSunrise

A beautiful sunrise on Had Rin.
success, and I'm glad to say I survived it. I pity the people who wake up confused and shoeless somewhere in the sand, wondering what happened after 2am! I don't know when we'll be back, but I can guarantee that next month, for the next full moon, Had Rin will once again be swarming with backpackers from all corners ready to party their hearts out.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

Dance Your Cares AwayDance Your Cares Away
Dance Your Cares Away

Me finding a groove during the sunrise.


13th February 2007

BUUUUUUCCCKKKKEEEETTTSSS!
Well I dont remember drinking any buckets at all... okay well maybe the first few!! We had a great time venturing around with you in Thailand for 10 days or so...Vietnam, although nice, is just not the same without you guys. Until we meet again good friends.... Big Hugs!!
13th February 2007

*sniff sniff*
We miss you too old chaps! It really is too bad you couldn't join up with the remaining EDA tour! Have fun and keep us posted as to how your trip is going, I'm sure we'll chat on MSN here soon anyways...Bigger Hugs!!! :)
15th February 2007

NICE
Looks AWESOME!

Tot: 0.163s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 14; qc: 63; dbt: 0.131s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb