Just another border town


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » Northern Thailand » Chiang Khong
October 29th 2011
Published: November 3rd 2011
Edit Blog Post

Arriving in Chiang Khong we checked into Boom guesthouse. After sitting on a boat for two days we had to then walk 1km to find an ATM so after getting organised we headed out and stopped off at a cafe on the way back for dinner. A few of the locals were having a drink and after eating they insisted we join them. They gave us both a whiskey and coke but after tasting it to please them I passed it over to Emily.
They told us stories about the town when tourists had to spend three days there waiting for a visa and one of the guys was a traveling tattooist with lots of stories. We sat with them for an hour or so before going back to the guesthouse. It had been a long day and Emily was dying for the toilet!
All we wanted was some fruit, so when we bumped into the guy we had been talking too the previous night he sent us to the local market. He forgot to tell us it was a 2km+ walk, which wouldn't matter if we hadn't got to walk all the way back before we had to then take a tuk tuk to the market to catch the bus to Chiang Rai. But we found it and compared to the other markets i've been to this was tiny, even smaller than the one in Pak Beng and thats just a tiny Lao village on the river.
Chiang Khong is a small border crossing town with not really anything to do. It does however have great views over to Lao and a nice sunset over the Mekong. The locals are friendly and its not a bad place to spend the night.
Taking the bus to Chiang Rai through the mountains was similar to been in Lao. Tiny villages, one large temple and Budda statute, one very beautiful drive. Locals getting off in the middle of no where. The spectacular scenery always makes up for the bumpy drive in Asia.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.126s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 14; qc: 53; dbt: 0.0684s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb