Beginning work


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » North-West Thailand » Mae Sot
November 14th 2008
Published: December 2nd 2008
Edit Blog Post

A new journey awaits me..A new journey awaits me..A new journey awaits me..

It won't be long before the family departs
I have spent the first couple of weeks at my new workplace learning about the different resettlement policies and processes, how each host country accepts and prepares refugees for resettlement and what teaching and educational material are used for their cultural orientation. My activities have included visiting the:

•Processing Centre - this is where refugees stay during their resettlement interviews, medical examination and before they are about to depart for their new host country. The PC holds information sessions to prepare refugees for their resettlement interviews, medical examinations and pre-departure procedures. It has a library, childcare centre and English classes.
•Hospital and medical unit - this is where refugees have their medical examination and TB screening as required for their visas.

For my own personal experience it has been enlightening to see families who have been born in refugee camps or never stepped outside of them for 20 years preparing to leave for a foreign and culturally diverse country the next day. The camp is often all they have known and being familiar/content with what you know is enough to resist anyone from wanting to leave. It is amazing to think for example they will be stepping on to the pavements of a US city in 24 hours after only being familiar with the surroundings of a village or a camp. While they would have a better chance than any of us surviving off the land with limited resources, big strange cities that do not speak your language would be hard for anyone to cope with. As my experiences in Australia have predominantly been with refugees once they have resettled and often completed the cultural orientation it has given me a greater understanding and appreciation of the many challenges refugees will face and have to overcome.

Embarking on this resettlement journey is a true testament to their courage, resilience and determination, something I have always admired in people who are forced to flee their homeland against their will and to make a new start in a foreign country with a different language. Just by observing the families and through my past experiences of hearing many refugee stories they are an example that anything is possible to achieve. Their personal anecdotes will never stop ceasing to amaze me.



Additional photos below
Photos: 19, Displayed: 19


Advertisement

Outside area for families at the PCOutside area for families at the PC
Outside area for families at the PC

These families are departing for the US tomorrow
Quarantine area for families with choleraQuarantine area for families with cholera
Quarantine area for families with cholera

They will stay here and be cleared before departing for their host country


Tot: 0.078s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 6; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0479s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb