Whitewashed temples and Dead Frogs


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » North-West Thailand » Chiang Rai
July 4th 2006
Published: July 8th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Drove up the 101 and arrived in Chiang Rai - actually saw an elephant being used for logging, high up in the hills. Passed a famous white temple, Wat Rong Khun, still under construction by Thailand’s most famous artist (can’t remember his name) - should be finished around 2008. Originally glanced the temple out the corner of my eye from the car whilst heading into Chiang Rai. Did a quick U-turn in the car to have a look. Thai temples are normally ornate and very coloured in Gold, orange, green, red etc. I thought that this temple was just covered in undercoat and hence white all over. Looking closer, we quickly realized that white was the final colour - and brilliant white it was, with pieces of broken glass shimmering in the sunlight. Arrived at the Teak Garden Spa Resort - Big spacious rooms, but 2 dead frogs in the swimming pool. Thought they were toys at first - Marvelous!!

Went to look at the Red Rose Hotel in Chiang Rai. There are adverts for this place everywhere as an Amusement Hotel. Dreadfully tacky place. Check it out on the web, although you have to see it in real life to really believe it!

Saw our French chef on the TV. Jeanette was flicking through the Thai channels and there he was on a Thai cookery show, making Tamarind eggs. Very funny and surreal end to the day.


Advertisement



11th July 2006

Red Rose Hotel
I checked it out!! No way man. I couldn't sleep in those rooms. The photos alone gave me a headache. But they do come with your very own karaoke machine. And a washing chair........What is a washing chair? Is it a bit like the "quiet room, or.........not" that Dirk got offered by the concierge of a hotel in Hamburg? Turns out that a room that isn't quiet comes with company, and the hotel were quite happy to book her for you. : )

Tot: 0.047s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 7; qc: 24; dbt: 0.02s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb