Chang Rai,Golden triangle/Laos and LOY KRATHONG


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » North-West Thailand » Chiang Rai
November 13th 2008
Published: November 13th 2008
Edit Blog Post

12th nov
Up early again as im going to the golden triangle today and also to visit the Karen tribed women. we went to a hot spring on the way which was a waste of time.as it was a carpark with a hot spring fountainand jewelery shops surrounding the sprin. thailand is so 'money money money'It gets a bit anoying.

We went to Chang Rai to the old city and saw one of the oldest wats(temples)

We then drove to the golden triangle and I got on a boat and saw the traging place for opium. You gould only buy it with gold hence the name. The boat turned at Burma and then we went to Laos. The boat stopped at Laos and we had to pay a 20thb tax to get off. I tried the "traditional snake whiskey" which had a snake preserved in the bottle. Not bad. I sent mum and jack a postcard and had a quick look around. We then got back on the boat and went back to Thailand. Im sad i left my passport at the hostel as a Loas stamp world have been cool. Ill come back to Laos for real next time.
We then trove to meet the Karen Longneck.Karen Aker and Karen big ear women again selling their hany crafts. The children were playing but when they saw me they ran to sit on their stall to try and sell you scarfs. Id have like to seen them playing. It felt wrong but they come from Burma to make money by showing themselves off. So i don't feel bad.


We drove 3 hours back to the city and the driver dropped me in the center of town. I met Sarah, Amanda and Rob and we went to the river to see all the fireworks and lanterns going up for Loy Krathrong .

We bought two between us and set them off and also bought the floating offering to the water spirits and made a wish and released that too. We topped the night off with a cocktail at a wicked bar.


Additional photos below
Photos: 17, Displayed: 17


Advertisement



14th November 2008

Your pics look beautiful and fab, Claire, and it looks like you're having a wicked time. Glad to hear you're meeting lots of cool people and hopefully not getting sick and vomiting in too many jungles?!? Can't wait to see more XXS
14th November 2008

trials and tribulations
well I can't see you keeping up this level of blogging as you get farther into your trip - am impressed! so you've been ripped off and ill already - no worries - it's the way isn't it. love the pic of you bottle feeding - bless! Looking forward to seeing some beach pics - even if it will make me green with envy! Take care of yourself darling xxx

Tot: 0.167s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 45; dbt: 0.1198s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb