back from chiang rai . . ..


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » North-West Thailand » Chiang Rai
November 23rd 2004
Published: November 23rd 2004
Edit Blog Post

My MotosayMy MotosayMy Motosay

Here's a picture of the motorsay i rented. Jess and I drove around for a while. I tried to get us out of town a little but I think maybe Jess was a little nervous with me driving as she didn't really let me go over 40 kph!
well, i've been back now from chiang rai for a couple of days now and i have to say there are some key differences between chiang rai and chiang mai.
First, there is less traffic and pollution in chiang rai and thus i felt compelled to rent a motorbike at jess's encouragement. i only fell off it once but it doesn't really count because we were stopped. she just happened to get off when i wasn't prepared and the bike came toppling down on me and i came toppling down onto a nearby garbage can! and then as i tried to lift the bike off me with it still on i accidently revved the gas and was running down the street holding onto it! quite embarrasing and a lot of people were staring but after lunch i got back on and i have to say i think i actually improved throughout the afternoon. it only cost 5$ can. and i didn't even have my canadian liscense with me. i guess they figured that sense i was above 11 years i knew how to drive.
anyways chiang rai was a lot more laid back than chiang mai. the market was really nice, lots and lots of food, vegetable, rice everything. the people in chiang rai were also really friendly, not that people aren't friendly there but since it is a much smaller town everyone smiled. so essentially at one point i was walking down the street nodding my head and saying hello to everyone.
also i should note that in the past thailand was a huge producer of opium, especially in the north. given that chiang rai in the northernmost province in thailand and border with burma (currently the 2nd largest producer of opium)and laos also big up there in the opium production. so i would think it's fair to say that chiang rai has seen it's fair share of opuim pass through it not only in the past but i would say also currently although probably to a lesser extent. i think it is also fair to say that there is still opium being grown in the hills of thailand and probably chiang rai as many of those who go on treks test out opium; a reason why i think the guys who worked at the guest house and ran the treks were a little weird and maybe why chiang rai's
Wat Phra KeowWat Phra KeowWat Phra Keow

I'm pretty sure this picture is where the Buddha image made of Canadian jade is. The reason i'm only pretty sure is because a lot of wats look the same and it was a few days ago that i was there so it's remember what's what~
so relaxed and laid back! ahh phuut len!! just kidding.
but maybe . .
i also went to a few wats in chiang rai. wat pra keow was where the Emerald Buddha was found in 1434 when it is believed that a pagoda was struck by lightening inside this temple. Inside this pagodo a emerald buddha image Phr Keow Poragot was found. This statue is now after many years of being all of the world is in Bangkok at the Royal Palace. To celebrate the 90 birthday of i think the current queen, Chiang Rai had another replica image made by a Chinese man and out of Canadian jade. Anyways thought that was interesting.

Also in Chiang Rai, there is a night bizzare as in Chiang Mai; although here you can buy food, sit down, drink beer and listen to a band! so i was pretty much in heaven here with the food, beer and music.
Oh and also on Thursday night a few of us who were in Chiang Rai (more people came the next day) went to a Thai rock concert which was awesome. i thought i lost my camera, so i was a little worried but i enjoyed myself either way. Lanna Collins, who is a local sensation with the thai was there along with silly fools. If any of you have downloaders you can listen to lanna collins and check out what my music here consists of. it's pretty funny; i like it but i'm not too sure how i would feel about it if i was in canada!


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

The stairs leading up to the Wat Tha and some monksThe stairs leading up to the Wat Tha and some monks
The stairs leading up to the Wat Tha and some monks

King Mengrai's is buried somewhere on this hill, so i read. He used to be the King of the northern part of Thailand
Again at Wat something somethingAgain at Wat something something
Again at Wat something something

This is most likely an old temple of worship,although it didn't really say that anywhere.
Jess at our guesthouseJess at our guesthouse
Jess at our guesthouse

Which was about 3$ canadian. pretty cheap i 'd say. The guys who worked there i thought were pretty crazy but the women were pretty sweet and were pretty much i thought the only people who spoke english in chiang rai


Tot: 0.067s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0375s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb