Eelephant day


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » North-West Thailand » Chiang Mai
November 28th 2016
Published: November 28th 2016
Edit Blog Post

I have fallen a bit behind on blogging so I'll just do some highlights. We went to an elephant sanctuary and it was one of the best days ever. The elephants are such amazing loving creatures. We got to feed them, make them their natural medicine to help their digestion, and wash them. They get right into the river with us and laid down so we could scrub them. They said when the elephants arrived they had worms under their skin they had to pop out like zits everyday. Lots of elephant places use plastic brushes to scrub them and the worms keep coming back. There they took a vine, split it into pieces then smashed them to make them soft. When you soak them in the water they foam up naturally and get soapy. Apparently it is what all the tribe people use on their elephants and themselves as well. Now all the elephants there are 100% worm free. After the morning with the elephants they go into the jungle to feed for the rest of the day and night.
We did a river rafting, so much fun getting competitive with the other boats! Followed by a short relaxing bamboo drift. Went past some villages where their elephants were playing in the river beside us just rolling around like puppies. It was quite something to see. We went on a really beautiful hike where we made some wonderful new friends and ended the day with dinner and drinks together.


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement



Tot: 0.1s; Tpl: 0.03s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0545s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb