Sleeper train to Chiang Mai-hostel on tracks


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » North-West Thailand » Chiang Mai
November 4th 2015
Published: November 5th 2015
Edit Blog Post

So we took the sleeper train from Bangkok to Chiang Mai, it is advised to book this well in advance as the tickets sell out really fast (especially for the train leaving in the evening). We got the train at half two and it cost 1200 baht for the two of us for a second class ticket. Well it was an experience I can tell you! The windows are open so you get a lovely cool breeze and see some wonderful sites, including the monkey temple, mountains and sunset but you also get mosquitoes (do use deet,especially if they love you as much as they love me!) I swear I'm like a delicacy for them or something lol! The dining was an interesting experience, street vendors hop on at station stops and sell everything from full on dinners to burgers to coffee. They do not sell beer so do take some with you as you may need it to sleep! We opted for rice meals and fruit which were tasty. I must warn you about the fruit. It comes with a sachet of what looks like cinnamon sugar (it's actually chilli salt) I got a shock with that one I tell ya! We met a nice German couple, it's a great way to meet fellow travelers. I've noticed many couples are now traveling, it's no longer just mainly groups of young lads or girls. The beds were comfy enough and you get a pillow and a blanket, the window gets closed so less mossies can enter and there's a fan to keep you cool. The top bunk is a bit narrow but close to the fan so you can choose which one you'd rather! Our time on the train passed pleasantly fast and we arrived in Chiang Mai at 5am. We then strolled in search of brekkie which we found in Mcdonalds as most places were shut. We then went to Noble house and they let us check in early, they were super friendly and our room was lovely. We had a proper toilet (a lot of places just have a hole in the ground type one!) and hit water. It was like heavenly luxury after Bangkok.


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



Tot: 0.034s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 22; dbt: 0.0134s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb