Chiang mai.. Wat-city :)


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » North-West Thailand » Chiang Mai
September 14th 2006
Published: September 14th 2006
Edit Blog Post

We took the nighttrain to Chiang mai, which was definitely an interesting experience. At night the chairs are turned into to beds (an upper and a lower) with little curtains. Surprisingly I slept pretty well, despite all the shaking of the train. And then, 1 ½ hours too late of course, we arrived in our 2nd destination..Chiang Mai!

Immediately on the way to the hotel (transport to hotel was included) we were dropped off at the agency that owns our hotel and organizes our tour. Of course they tried to talk us in to booking other stuff, like the trip to Laos, cause otherwise it would be full.. Sure… We didn’t book anything extra and visibly disappointed the girl that worked there 😉..

The hotel is not nearly as nice as the one in Bangkok, especially the room not, but the outside restaurant/bar is really nice, and of course its also a lot cheaper than the previous one, so we can live with it.

After a great lunch (we didn’t really have breakfast, only some crackers we took with us on the way) in front of our hotel we went exploring Chiang Mai. It’s a lot less crowded and less packed with tourists than Bangkok. We have seen some very pretty Wat’s (temples) and even talked with a monk, haha. Our favourite Wat was the one far outside of the city centre, in the middle of a little forests, with many little signs with wisdoms written on it.. Like a fairy-tale-forest! Amazing! Emma and I enjoyed the signs even more than the Wat, haha.

In the evening we went to the night bazaar, which was amazing. Soooo much stuff we would love to buy, but soooo little space left in our backpacks. Ahh, drives us crazy. We also ate somewhere at the market in an outside restaurant, in the middle of the market, where was an awesome atmosphere. I do really start to get a holiday feeling!! Especially since, don’t get too excited, but.. probably my luggage will arrive today!! Ahhhhh!! Okay, so there was something to celebrate, which we did at the little bar in front of our hostel with a nice cocktail. Life can be sweet…

Today another day in Chiang Mai, and then the trekking.. Elephant riding, longneck women, I don’t know what else, but it’ll be great. We’ll keep you guys informed!


Advertisement



Tot: 0.066s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 8; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0429s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb