Baanchang Elephant Park


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » North-West Thailand » Chiang Mai
February 12th 2015
Published: February 12th 2015
Edit Blog Post

Feeding time!Feeding time!Feeding time!

Freya loved feeding them bananas!
Our day at the elephant sanctuary was amazing. We had spent ages looking to find an elephant park that was not a show to watch elephants paint pictures or perform tricks, we wanted to experience what is was like to see an elephant in its own natural habitat, and that's exactly what we experienced. Despite the awful uniforms we were given to wear, the day was absolutely amazing!

We fed the elephants bananas and sugar cane sticks, we also learnt about the work the sanctuary does and how the elephants at the sanctuary are all rescued from the shows and logging companies that use the elephants for working.

Each elephant has its own assigned keeper and it was lovely to see the close connection between them. The nicest part was you actually got to know the elephants individually which is not something you could gain from a circus.

We learnt some of the basic commands to control them as we were going to go on a trek around the park. Each of us had our own elephant to ride, Abby's elephant was a huge 35 year old female, who she fell completely in love with!

We were
'Can I take this one home?' ???'Can I take this one home?' ???'Can I take this one home?' ???

Getting to know the elephants!
also allowed to wash and bathe the elephants in the river which was hilarious. The elephants even joined in with the water fight and got everyone soaked! The day was so much better than expected and it was incredible to see them being treated so well.



The sanctuary does some amazing work and it is really inspiring to see the elephants being so well protected from these awful shows where they are chained up and forced paint pictures purely for entertainment and to make money. Obviously a lot of cruelty goes on, especially in such corrupted countries, but it's such a good thing to know there are people out there protecting them and making a difference. We have so much respect for them and it was one of the best days we've had on this trip.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

So cute!So cute!
So cute!

This baby is only 6 months old.
Making friends!Making friends!
Making friends!

Stuart feeding them bananas!?
Harder than it looks!Harder than it looks!
Harder than it looks!

Freya and Rebecca riding Tiangon.
Bath time Bath time
Bath time

The elephants decided we were all going to have a bath !!


12th February 2015

Wow
Looks like you all have an amazing time with the elephants....very brave riding them in the water..what fun. I think your going to find coming home rather boring...enjoy Bangkok. m x
12th February 2015

Elephants
They say that an elephant never forgets,so when you return in a few years time you will be recognised as the girls with the bananas. What will mum and dad be remembered for? Luv xxx.

Tot: 0.076s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 5; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0464s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb