The day we caught the train


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » North-West Thailand » Chiang Mai
July 3rd 2013
Published: July 3rd 2013
Edit Blog Post

On the evening of our last full night in Bangkok, we had planned to go for one last pad thai down the 'local' but instead wandered in a different direction and come across a series of, what appeared to be, more local eateries. We chose one quickly (any would have done) and endeavoured to scan the menu for more recommendations we had been given. We tried the 'fish cakes' along with another Tom yam kai and rice and shared the lot. Tom yam kai was as good as last time and fish cakes nice although we both struggled to taste the fish. More like deep fried scrambled egg with herbs and spices - a lot of flavour.

Not much to speak of for the next day. We spent some time chilling in our favourite spot in the guest house after checking out so that we didn't need to get our bags stored. I continued to read travel blogs and sites on the internet and Math started a book...We have officially switched off!

First quote for taxi to station was b200, second was b100.but we stood our ground for a metered option and this cost b57. We arrived very cautiously early, found the platform number, some food and drink very easily then waited!...and waited! The only vaguely interesting occurrence was when the entire waiting hall stood for the national anthem. This was perhaps a random broadcast on the tv, perhaps standard protocol at 6pm or perhaps due to something else we weren't aware of.

The train left just after 8 and we lasted about an hour in our 4 bed (2 bunk) compartment before deciding to investigate the 'restaurant' which also seemed to double as the smoking car. We ate our set menu in just in time for main lights to be switched off, fairy lights and disco ball to be switched on and music channel to be turned up. I think the sub woofers were under the seats and with the windows down and beers flowing this was a really fun contrast from the quiet, cool sleeping cars. Later, with Matt on bottom bunk and me on top bunk alongside the bags we found the beds extremely comfy - we both had the best nights sleep in a week with the help of a/c and the rocking of the carriages as we travelled. In the morning we were awake to enjoy th views for the last 3 hours of the journey. The landscape was hilly forestry - green and lush and tropical almost. We gently approached Chiang Mai and arrived at around 11am instantly noticing the more amiable temperature.

A short songthaew journey for b100 took us over the moat into the centre of town to an area we had selected as having a number of guest houses. We found a room with private bathroom, tv and bathroom for b300 (nearly half the price of equivalent in Bangkok) and went for suishi at a friendly restaurant opposite before a quick walk around the market then a few other streets checking out the tesco express on the way. We also picked up a few ideas for possible excursions (this area seeming to be a base for active types).

With the temperature at 35 degrees, although still much more manageable than Bangkok, we thought it time for a rest and freshen up.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.034s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 7; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0191s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb