Prostitution


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » North-West Thailand » Chiang Mai
July 15th 2006
Published: July 21st 2006
Edit Blog Post

Last night in Chang Mai, we stopped again by the same bar as the night before to chat with the girls we'd met before. The two who we had gone to the dance club with said that they had both found "work" the night before after we left 😊 They were too exhausted to go dancing again and planned on heading home at midnight. We talked at length with another woman we had met. She said that this was only her third week as a prostitute. She had taken on this new career at the age of 41 since she no longer had a husband and though she had prospects for some other desk job she had no transport to get her there since it was far away. She figured since the money was much better and she didn't have any good options she would give it a try. I asked her how the process of getting a client worked, and she said that a man would come in and sit down and order a drink and then one of the girls would walk over to say hello and chat a little. If the guy was interested he would offer to buy her a drink and they would talk some more. This way they had some time to try and gauge if he was safe. They would always agree on a price before leaving the bar so there wouldn't be problems later. Then they would drive off on one of the motorbikes. She said so far she had never had a bad nor violent experience. I had asked her that because the previous night when we were walking we had witnessed another prostitute in a loud argument with a white guy, and he had finally slapped her across the face and walked off. Wendy yelled at the guy and the prositute followed him into another bar and was excitely talking to a Thai person in there and gesturing at the white guy but we kept walking.

Back at the bar, Wendy noticed an old white guy seated on my left, and asked how come he wasn't with a girl. Our friend said that none of the women approach him, and he eventually leaves since he can probably go to a lower-class place to get a girl. I saw that one of the girls playing pool with a man looked really young, and the woman at the bar said that all of her girls had to be at least 18 and that that one was actually 26 years old. The 41-year-old who we had been talking to commented that the 26-year-old was one of those young ones who did this work to make a lot of cash, enjoy herself, and live the fast lifestyle but that she got too attached to her clients.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.065s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0394s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb