The cremation of Her Royal Highness Princess Bejaratana in Bangkok


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » North-West Thailand » Chiang Mai
April 15th 2012
Published: April 15th 2012
Edit Blog Post

This content requires Flash
To view this content, JavaScript must be enabled, and you need the latest version of the Adobe Flash Player.
Download the free Flash Player now!
On the 9th and 10th of April, an extraordinary and rare event happened in Bangkok, and once again I was lucky enough to be there.

It was the cremation of the Royal Highness Princess Bajaratana. The princess was the first cousin of the actual king Bhumibol Adulyadej. Her full name was: Somdej Chao Fah Bejaratana Rajasuda (Royal Lady with the beauty of a Diamond) Sirisobhabannavadi (the birth that is abundant in auspice).(I will never remember all that!) She was recognized for her work dedicated to the nation and its people. She often represented the King and the Queen at many official functions and was appreciated for the goodness of her heart, her profound interest in Buddhism and her love of the Thai language. She passed away at the age of 85 on the 27 July 2011. If there is such a long delay between her death and the cremation, this is because the death of a member of the royal family is something important and they need some time to organize the cremation and to build the royal crematorium which will be destroyed after the event.

For this cremation, the Government formed 7 committees in charge of the arrangement of the royal cremation according to the royal traditions.

The all process was schedule from the 8th to the 12th of April, but the actual day of the cremation was the 9th, which was declared public holiday to allow people to pay a last tribute to Her Royal Highness.

There were several rehearsals before the big day and I went at 2 of them, because I knew it will be more difficult to take pictures the actual day. So some of the pictures are from the rehearsals, some from the real day.

On the 9th, I wake up at 4.30am, to make sure to have a good place to see everything. Some people were already there when I arrived at 5am, but I still manage to get a good place. The procession started around 9.30 at the sound of cannon and that was really noisy and kinda scary (They fired at least 50 time during the procession!)!

A big procession with different military troops dressed with different uniforms and hats, escorted the Royal Great Victory Carriage which carried the remains of the princess and the small carriage with His Holiness the supreme Patriarch reciting prayers.

Followed a Buddhist ceremony inside the buildings but shown on big screen outside.

On the afternoon, a symbolic cremation took place, attended by the King Bhumibol Adulyadej and his daughter, the Princess Sirindhorn (Her full ceremonial title is “Somdet Phra Theppharatratsuda Chao Fa Maha Chakri Sirindhorn Ratthasimakhunakonpiyachat Sayamborommaratchakumari”!!!! Thai people usually refer to her as “Phra Thep”, meaning “princess angel”). I was impressed by the reaction of the people. In Thailand, the king is almost revered as a god, people really love him and the Princess as well, and they showed it when they saw them passed. The same happened when the King appeared on the big screen. You could actually feel the love of Thai people for their King.

The real cremation took place at night. Tradition want that classical public performances take place during all night (from 7pm to 6am the next day). It started raining really hard on the evening and I was exhausted so I didn't see the beginning of the performances, but I was back to see the end of it the next day around 5am. And I was amazed that lots of people were still up watching the shows.

The morning of the 10th was the transportation of the Royal ashes from the crematorium to the Grand Palace. Two different palanquins are used as the ashes and Royal Relics will be divided in 2 and keep in 2 different places, the Grand Palace and the Royal Cemetery. This procession was attended by the Princess Sirindhorn.

I really enjoyed seeing all that, being there with Thai people, sharing the experience with them. When I was waiting at 5am the first day, a lot of people were smiling at me, happy to see a farang (word for foreigner in Thai) being there. They gave me food and drinks. Even if we couldn't have long discussion (the people I was sitting with didn't speak a lot of English, and I still can't speak Thai), they were as curious about me as I was curious about them!

My next post will be about one of the most wonderful festival in Thailand!







Le 9 et 10 Avril, un événement extraordinaire et rare s'est déroulé à Bangkok, et encore une fois j'ai eu la chance d'être là.

C'était la crémation de son Altesse Royale la Princesse Bajaratana. La princesse était la cousine germaine de l'actuel roi Bhumibol Adulyadej. Son nom complet était: Somdej Chao Fah Bejaratana Rajasuda (Dame Royale à la beauté d'un diamant) Sirisobhabannavadi (née sous d'abondants auspices) Je ne me souviendrai jamais de tout ça! Elle était reconnue pour son travail dédié à la nation et son peuple. Elle a souvent représenté le roi et la reine pour de nombreuses fonctions officielles et a été appréciée pour la bonté de son cœur, son profond intérêt pour le bouddhisme et son amour de la langue thaï. Elle est décédée à l'âge de 85 ans le 27 Juillet 2011. S'il y a eu un délai aussi long entre sa mort et la crémation, c'est parce que le décès d'un membre de la famille royale est quelque chose d'important et ils ont besoin de temps pour organiser la crémation et la construction du crématorium royal, qui sera détruit après l'événement.

Pour cette crémation, le gouvernement a créé 7 comités en charge de l'agencement de la crémation selon les traditions royales.

Le processus en entier se déroulait du 8 au 12 avril, mais le jour de la crémation était le 9, qui a été déclarée jour férié pour permettre aux gens de rendre un dernier hommage à Son Altesse Royale.

Il y avait plusieurs répétitions avant le grand jour et je suis allée à 2 d'entre elles, parce que je savais qu'il sera plus difficile de prendre des photos le jour même. Ainsi, certaines des images sont prises pendant les répétitions, certaines le jour même.

Le 9, je me suis réveillée à 4h30 du matin, afin de m'assurer d'avoir un bon endroit pour tout voir. Certaines personnes étaient déjà là quand je suis arrivé à 5h du matin, mais j'ai réussi à être bien placée. La procession a commencé vers 9h30, au son du canon, ce qui était très bruyant et un peu effrayant (Ils ont tiré au moins 50 fois au cours de la procession!)!

Un grand cortège avec différentes troupes militaires habillées d'uniformes et de chapeaux différents, escortaient le Palanquin de la Grande Victoire Royale qui transportait les restes de la princesse et le petit palanquin avec Sa Sainteté le Patriarche Suprême récitant des prières.

Suivie une cérémonie bouddhiste à l'intérieur des bâtiments, mais montrée sur grand écran à l'extérieur.

Pendant l'après-midi, une crémation symbolique a eu lieu, en présence du roi Bhumibol Adulyadej et de sa fille, la princesse Sirindhorn (Son titre complet est "Somdet Phra Chao Fa Theppharatratsuda Maha Chakri Sirindhorn Ratthasimakhunakonpiyachat Sayamborommaratchakumari"!!!! Le peuple thaïlandais se réfèrent généralement à elle comme " Phra Thep ", qui signifie "princesse ange "). J'ai été impressionnée par la réaction des gens. En Thaïlande, le roi est presque vénéré comme un dieu, les gens l'aiment vraiment ainsi que la princesse, et ils l'ont montré lorsqu'ils les ont vu passer. La même chose s'est produite lorsque le roi est apparu sur le grand écran. On pouvait vraiment sentir l'amour du peuple thaïlandais pour leur roi.

La vrai crémation a eu lieu dans la nuit. La tradition veut que de classiques représentations publiques aient lieu pendant toute la nuit (de 19 heures à 6 heures le lendemain). Il a commencé à pleuvoir très fort dans la soirée et j'étais épuisée, je n'ai donc pas vu le début des représentations, mais j'étais présente pour voir la fin de celles-ci le lendemain vers 5h du matin. Et j'ai été étonnée de voir que beaucoup de gens étaient encore là pour voir les spectacles.

Le matin du 10 s'est déroulé le transport des cendres royales du crématoire au Grand Palais. Deux palanquins différents ont été utilisés car les cendres et les reliques royales sont divisées en 2 et seront gardées en 2 endroits différents, le Grand Palais et le cimetière royal. La princesse Sirindhorn était présente a cette procession également.

J'ai vraiment apprécié d'assister à tout cela , d'être là avec la population thaïlandaise, de partager l'expérience avec eux. Quand j'attendais à 5h du matin le premier jour, beaucoup de gens me souriaient, heureux de voir un farang (mot pour étranger en thaï) être là. Ils m'ont offert de la nourriture et des boissons. Même si nous ne pouvions pas avoir de longues discussions (les gens avec qui j'étais assise ne parlant pas beaucoup anglais, et je ne peux toujours pas parler thaï), ils étaient aussi curieux de moi que je l'étais à leur sujet!

Mon prochain article sera au sujet d'un des plus merveilleux festival de Thailande.


Additional photos below
Photos: 46, Displayed: 28


Advertisement



15th April 2012
30-

très impressionnant.

Tot: 0.052s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 6; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0315s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb