Festival


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » North-West Thailand » Chiang Mai
November 23rd 2010
Published: November 23rd 2010
Edit Blog Post

We arrived so late on the train that most of the day was spent. We hit up a little market where I got a Thai shirt to help keep cool. We arrived at a good time it seemed because it was the hostel owners birthday so she provided us with free booze and food.

After dinner we joined in the festival and released some lanterns into the sky. They were like huge rice bags with candles in them and they floated way up into the sky. Now imagine thousand and thousands released all night. They looked like tons of orange stars in the sky and some had attached sparklers so they let's out streams ofsilver all the way up. People also sent candles down the river and lit fireworks.

The main party and parade were on the river and bridges so we went down to the main bridge. Matt and I lost the rest of the group in the mayhem and ended up not finding them again. The bridge was crazy with people throwing fireworks and firecrackers all over the place. It was fun for a bit but then it got dangerous. We saw tons o people getting hit and i knew it was time to go when I got hit in the side of the head with a firework.

Matt and I finished the night at a rooftop bar watching the lanterns until the wee hours of the morning. It ended with Matt trying to use the one power (he just finished the Robert Jordan book) on a British guy and me dragging him out before he got into a fight.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.117s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0557s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb